Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

vig install gone awry

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2003, 05:08 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default vig install gone awry

I installed a vig 3200 in my girlfriends car and after I got it all buttoned up and had her start it there was this wierd metallic sound coming from the transmission area. It went away for a minute and then came back. The car was on for no more than 90 seconds total.
Its hard to describe a sound, sorry if I am not more descripive, I am zombie right now . lol
Old 10-23-2003, 09:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: vig install gone awry

There is alot of ? to ask here.First are you shure you got the converter on the spline of the tranny ALL the way. You should hear 3 clicks. There should be 1inch from the converter bolt hole to the top outside flange of the bellhousing. Second is with the Tq coverter bolts. You have to have all 3 in snug before you torque them down other wise the coverter would be in a bind against the flywheel. I would drop the starter and open the acces hole on the bottom the the housing. Take out the converter bolts and try the work the coverter all the way back again. Using the acess holes. Car in N of course. Check for the 1 inch of clearence again. Put the bolts back in snug then TQ them to spec. Did you put 1/2 QT of fluid in the coverter before the Instull. They should be primed. Couldnt really tell you if anything is damaged. If its not any of this, I would pull the coverter and start over. If it was used have it tested by a local shop. Hope this helps. Tony
Old 10-23-2003, 11:00 AM
TECH Veteran

The first thing i would check would be converter bolts, the aftermarket converters use a shorter bolt than the stock ones. Make sure they are tight as well.
Old 10-23-2003, 12:19 PM
11 Second Club

Thanx for the replies.
I did put a half a qt. of fluid in before I installed and I made sure it was all the way seated on the tranny. I will try yur suggestions.
Old 10-23-2003, 01:40 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

I agree with the previous suggestions however, I have to ask how much fluid did you put in the tranny? These 4l60e's are very picky about having just enough fluid to work properly. So you have the vig 3200, anything else like a cooler or deep pan that would increase the amount? Did you let the tranny get all the way up to normal operating temp? Was the car on level ground? I don't want to insult anybody here but it would be nice wouldn't it?
Old 10-23-2003, 03:18 PM
11 Second Club

Thanx for all your replies, I was so zombied out, I wouldn't have known where to start. It was the bolts, they backed out and were rubbing. I have not put a cooler on yet or a deep pan, but a cooler is going on real quick.