Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Priming a LS1???

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 08:30 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil Priming a LS1???

Ok this may sound like a newbie question.
Is there anyway to oil prime a LS1 engine??
I have one that has been sitting for about 3yrs and I want to try and start it. I would like to prime it first. Is it possible?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 04-01-2009, 09:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Not sure, only way I really know is to pull the fuel pump fuse and crank it; just don't burn your starter up.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:19 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You can get a pressure tank, fill it with oil on one side, air pressure on the other side and connect it to your engine. Open the valve and start cranking. This is the only way to prelube a LS engine with oil pressure.

Otherwise, you can remove the spark plugs, disconnect the coils and fuel injectors, and crank away. This takes the cranking pressure out of the picture anyways.
Hope that helps.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:19 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I would pull the valve covers and pour some oil on top of the rockers and let it drain down on top of the lifters and such so it wont be a dry run until the oil pumps up.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:03 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
I would pull the valve covers and pour some oil on top of the rockers and let it drain down on top of the lifters and such so it wont be a dry run until the oil pumps up.
The more important part is the bearings, they're going to wipe out alot sooner than rockers or something.

I was planning on pulling off the 2 main coil harnesses and fuel pump fuse and cranking till I see pressure on the gauge and/or see oil coming out of the pushrods since that's the end in the oil pressure circuit then you know everything else should have oil.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:44 AM
Teching In

You can get a pressure tank, fill it with oil on one side, air pressure on the other side and connect it to your engine. Open the valve and start cranking. This is the only way to prelube a LS engine with oil pressure.

Otherwise, you can remove the spark plugs, disconnect the coils and fuel injectors, and crank away. This takes the cranking pressure out of the picture anyways.
Hope that helps.
Where would you connect to? I assume that you could pull the oil pressure sending unit out and pressurize through there...couldn't you?

What type of pressureized tank would be available out there that could hold oil? Could I rotate the crank by hand while this is being done also..duh, it wouldn't hurt anything to do that..thinking as I type..ya'll know

Thanks for the info and keep it coming.
Mike

Quick Reply: Oil Priming a LS1???