Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tb help please

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 03:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default tb help please

last night i ported my throttle body. put it back on theis morning and now my car will idle 1000 rpms higher (2000 rpm) for about 10 seconds then works its way down to 1000 rpm. then if i touch the gas it does it again. it doesnt look like i took to much material away so im wondering if it could be the positioning of the tps? any help would be great because i dont want to buy a new one
Old 04-01-2009, 03:38 PM
12 Second Club

does the butterfly valve have to have a perfect sill? mine has a very small crack so small a business card wouldnt go through could this be it?
Old 04-01-2009, 03:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like the blade isn't perfectly center. Is the gas pedal sticking at all?
Old 04-01-2009, 03:50 PM
TECH Addict

most tb's ive seen (and im talkin stockers here, no pnp action) will let a lil itty bitty steam of light around the blade, but very, very tiny. Did you do ANY work where the blade sits at closed (hope not)

I have also seen TB's once ported that do the same thing your talkin about, but only the first time or two starting the car.

some other things to consider...

is the blade stickier feeling now than before, did you knife edge the blade?(maybe to much)

did you mess with the stop screw where the cable cam rests when the blade is closed? (is the blade able to close all the way)

Did you do anything with the cable itself to where its holding the blade open?

did you tighten the 2 blade screws down evenly, not one totaly tightend down, then the other,,,? (blade sitting in there evenly)

it really sounds like your car is just adjusting, but hard to say as your stating that you "blip" the gas pedal, and it does it again...

did you clean and lube the shaft up real good before putting it back in?
Old 04-01-2009, 04:03 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bad Blue WS6
most tb's ive seen (and im talkin stockers here, no pnp action) will let a lil itty bitty steam of light around the blade, but very, very tiny. Did you do ANY work where the blade sits at closed (hope not)

i didnt go that far back

I have also seen TB's once ported that do the same thing your talkin about, but only the first time or two starting the car.

some other things to consider...

is the blade stickier feeling now than before, did you knife edge the blade?(maybe to much)

the blade did stick some what at almost completely closed, but the spring could still pull it fully shut

did you mess with the stop screw where the cable cam rests when the blade is closed? (is the blade able to close all the way)

no and yes

Did you do anything with the cable itself to where its holding the blade open?

didnt mess with it

did you tighten the 2 blade screws down evenly, not one totaly tightend down, then the other,,,? (blade sitting in there evenly)

both are snug and it appears even

it really sounds like your car is just adjusting, but hard to say as your stating that you "blip" the gas pedal, and it does it again...

did you clean and lube the shaft up real good before putting it back in?

i cleaned it well with carb cleaner then used a gear oil on it
im stumped. im gonna try to adjust or move the tps a little. i dont have a voltage tester so i guess ill be doing it by ear
Old 04-01-2009, 04:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This happened when I did mine. We had to adjust for all the extra air coming in on the tune to get mine to act right. It would idle up and just hold if I came to a stop then when it finally came back to down to idle it would just act like it was searching for idle. It would drop down to 500 then go back to like 2000 back and forth. We tweeked the tune and it stopped.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:14 PM
TECH Addict

maybe try loosing the 2 blade screws, just enough to kinda center the blade a bit and retighten..

the TPS sensor only goes on one way, and moving that requires oblong-ing the 2 screw holes for it,, and is only needed if the bump stop mod was done to far, causing the error code to pop up, it can be done, but shouldnt have to be.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:26 PM
12 Second Club

sure hope it doesnt need tuning. i took it back of and am now in the process of taking it apart to look back over everything. ill try teh screws first
Old 04-01-2009, 04:33 PM
12 Second Club

light bulb! the blade its self has a small hole in it, im guessing for idling. maybe if my car is acting funny because of to much air i could just plug that or partially fill it to compensate for the added air flow when the valve is shut.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:34 PM
12 Second Club

yessir! thats it.. people drill holes for cam cars and what not, and I believe the BBK 80mm comes with a hole in it. That is your problem sir
Old 04-01-2009, 06:38 PM
12 Second Club

well im letting the metal filler dry right now but when i get it back on ill let you all know what happens.

thanks for the help guys!
Old 04-01-2009, 07:05 PM
12 Second Club

that was it guys thanks for all the help again!
Old 04-04-2009, 11:55 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had/have the same issue. I'm pretty sure I over ported mine. I even made a hole in the body that I had to fill. I messed with the idle screw for a while but I can only get it as low as about 900 RPM. What is stock idle again? 600 RPM? Mine has the hole in the blade too. I am going to fill it in. I swear it is factory though. This car has never had a came or even a tune before me. Are you all sure it's not a factory hole?
Old 04-04-2009, 02:20 PM
12 Second Club

it is factory but filling it closes off some air from over porting
Old 04-04-2009, 09:57 PM
TECH Resident

I filled in the hole. The idle is down to 790-800 RPM. Can anyone tell me what it should be? I thought it was like 600????
Old 04-04-2009, 10:37 PM
Staging Lane

i hitnk its 600 for A4 and 750 for M6
Old 04-04-2009, 10:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like the same thing that happened to mine after the p&p. It should readjust pretty quickly.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:45 AM
12 Second Club

hell mine still idols a little high. when i get time im gonna fill in the idle air holes some. you could try that kyoytey
Old 04-05-2009, 08:27 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Driftunit
hell mine still idols a little high. when i get time im gonna fill in the idle air holes some. you could try that kyoytey
Are there other holes? I filled the one in the blade. Is there one I missed?
Old 04-05-2009, 10:52 PM
12 Second Club

There are 2 holes. One is in the tb casting. Its an air bypass so the car will idle. i\If you look into your tb it is on the top left. the other hole does the same thing and it is in the blade (butterfly-valve). if too much air is getting around your shitty knife edge job like mine you can close those holes a bit with metal filler to compensate for all that extra air getting around the blade. should drop your idle a good bit.