LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

The difference is night and day

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 05:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The difference is night and day

And it really is. When im driving during the day, my car's power feels alright, but then at night, it feels like it picks up 30-50hp. There is a big difference. I know cooler air makes more power, but I didnt think it would make that much of a difference. Temps are usually 85-95*F during the day and 65-75*F at night.

Could it be that I need bigger injectors or tb? I need to reconnect my o2 sensors also.

Any ideas??
Old 04-01-2009, 05:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Why are you driving around with your O2s disconnected?

The other thing - probably psychological. Gauging the fact that something is wrong with your car on the basis that it feels different at night isn't a good excuse to actually think something's wrong.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:21 PM
TECH Resident

yeah, the difference should not be noticeable. O2 sensors should prooooobably be connected, but thats just my 2 cents.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:23 PM
TECH Addict

my car always runs better with the cool air outside....what little i get here in Texas
Old 04-01-2009, 05:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Why are you driving around with your O2s disconnected?

The other thing - probably psychological. Gauging the fact that something is wrong with your car on the basis that it feels different at night isn't a good excuse to actually think something's wrong.
Yup, you'd be surprised by most people's butt dyno numbers, lol.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think my car is faster at night too, and It always picks up at the track the later it gets.
Not 30-40 hp but def a little bit.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Saying it's psychological is a fairly ignorant claim, IMO. While our computer controlled vehicles can account for the atmospheric changes, it may be a big enough one during the day that at night it does perform better. There's heat, humidity, barometric pressure and I'm sure more if I was a meteorologist More than likely it is picking up some power during the night when the air is a bit more dense, since he has his O2s disconnected and running in open loop has the car running richer than it should be.

Could just very well be a noticeable throttle response change, which off the line will make it seem like it's picked up power. Like after I installed my 24# injectors before I got my tune in, there was a clear difference in performance, but everyone here said that it just isn't possible I think it was Capricemgr who said that it was most likely the increased throttle response that was throwing me off.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Formula350
Saying it's psychological is a fairly ignorant claim, IMO. While our computer controlled vehicles can account for the atmospheric changes, it may be a big enough one during the day that at night it does perform better. There's heat, humidity, barometric pressure and I'm sure more if I was a meteorologist More than likely it is picking up some power during the night when the air is a bit more dense, since he has his O2s disconnected and running in open loop has the car running richer than it should be.

Could just very well be a noticeable throttle response change, which off the line will make it seem like it's picked up power. Like after I installed my 24# injectors before I got my tune in, there was a clear difference in performance, but everyone here said that it just isn't possible I think it was Capricemgr who said that it was most likely the increased throttle response that was throwing me off.
Whoa whoa whoa, I never said that it wasn't noticeable...but the idea of a 30-50hp change is pretty outlandish.

Also he said "feels like"... That's why it's probably a psychological thing.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
the idea of a 30-50hp change is pretty outlandish.
x2

Old 04-01-2009, 05:59 PM
11 Second Club

i say its possible to pick up say about a .15 at night in the 1/4 vs high noon. No where near 30-40.
Formula350 does have a good point about the OPs car running to rich during the day and picking up alot in the cooler denser nite air.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Whoa whoa whoa, I never said that it wasn't noticeable...but the idea of a 30-50hp change is pretty outlandish.
Well yea LOL I'm not going to dispute THAT point I figured he said that in jest, in a "the fish I caught was THIS big!" sort of way. If he did mean literally, and there is that big of a difference, something is seriously messed up with the car........ or his dyno
Old 04-01-2009, 06:01 PM
TECH Junkie

You must have some kind of studder/sluggish acceleration then it picks up right into your power ban.

I rember when my opti was having problems it would feel as if I had turbo lag, then the miss would go away as im hitting my sweet spot in the power ban and pull very hard.

The problem is my car wasnt getting any faster at all, it was just stall and then Id feel the power come on like it should.

Driving around with no sensors is retarded......
Old 04-01-2009, 06:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by AChotrod
i say its possible to pick up say about a .15 at night in the 1/4 vs high noon. No where near 30-40.
Formula350 does have a good point about the OPs car running to rich during the day and picking up alot in the cooler denser nite air.
Not driving your car for a very very long time plus a cool night will feel a little more oompphh but nothing like this guy is talking about.

Lol Im still laughing that he thinks hes got 50hp from a car not running right
Old 04-01-2009, 06:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by explicit.muscle
And it really is. When im driving during the day, my car's power feels alright, but then at night, it feels like it picks up 30-50hp. There is a big difference. I know cooler air makes more power, but I didnt think it would make that much of a difference. Temps are usually 85-95*F during the day and 65-75*F at night.

Could it be that I need bigger injectors or tb? I need to reconnect my o2 sensors also.

Any ideas??
Let me get this straight you have a head n cam on your car, but cant get a proper tune to see whats going on with it?
Old 04-01-2009, 06:07 PM
Banned

You wouldn't happen to have any "beers" in you would ya? At night that is..My friend and I have always said, after a few drinks our cars feel like they gained 100hp..not that I drink and drive or am I promoting trying this
Old 04-01-2009, 06:16 PM
On The Tree

Ok, maybe not 30-50hp, but it is a real BIG differance. I have the o2's sitting in the back seat of the car, but its hard to find the time to put em on, with working 2-40hr/week jobs.

Slick1851, do you have to be such a dick? And it does have a tune on it. I think you are thinking of a scanner. And yes I have 1, and everything looks normal on it, except the code for the 02's. I'm gonna get em connected tomorrow morning when I get out of work, to see if it makes a difference.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Ok, maybe not 30-50hp, but it is a real BIG differance. I have the o2's sitting in the back seat of the car, but its hard to find the time to put em on, with working 2-40hr/week jobs.

Slick1851, do you have to be such a dick? And it does have a tune on it. I think you are thinking of a scanner. And yes I have 1, and everything looks normal on it, except the code for the 02's. I'm gonna get em connected tomorrow morning when I get out of work, to see if it makes a difference.

Yeah I only posted information that makes sense, sorry for not making weird sounding claims.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:28 PM
On The Tree

sorry my *** dyno isn't fine tuned, but it does pick up alot of power. From a dig with no burnout, it will stick and launch during the day. Then it will burn em through 1st gear at night with a small burnout. Like i said earlier, it "FEELS" like. not an exact number. Just trying to get my point across.

Originally Posted by slick1851
Yeah I only posted information that makes sense, sorry for not making weird sounding claims.
Of all your posts on this thread, not 1 of em had any useful information.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Go put O2s in your car and take it to a good tuner

You do understand that some times you need to have a car tuned more than once to get it running right. Maybe your car was running to rich and having your 02s off is making the car run lean. Or it could be the other way around, ive got no idea.

Outside temps and humidity play a role in the air feul ratio!
Old 04-01-2009, 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

sorry my *** dyno isn't fine tuned, but it does pick up alot of power. From a dig with no burnout, it will stick and launch during the day. Then it will burn em through 1st gear at night with a small burnout. Like i said earlier, it "FEELS" like. not an exact number. Just trying to get my point across.

You know the cooler the pavement the less traction you get....When it's cold outside you can forget wot in 1st or 2nd but when its warmer outside ill stick in 2nd

Quick Reply: The difference is night and day