Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Yet ANOTHER drag radial thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 07:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Yet ANOTHER drag radial thread

ok i searched through quite a few drag radial threads on here..

looked through this thread..
https://ls1tech.com/forums/wheels-ti...ead-v-1-a.html

15x10 325/50 going on a chevy luv with a ls motor...

truck will be driven when weather is nice out. i dont plan on taking it out if its raining, but if im out in the truck and it starts raining i want to be able to keep driving and not sit on side of road till it stops...

i would say it will be about 70% street/30% strip

when people say " not good in wet weather " does that mean i cant go over 10mph in the rain?

i want a better explanation on what " not good in wet weather " means. i obviously know im not going to be able to road race in the rain on them, but can i safely drive 40/50 mph in a pretty good rain?

im most interested in the Mickey Thompson ET Street Radials obviously cause they are said to get the best traction. im not worried about how fast they wear out as the truck wont see a ton of miles, and i dont mind replacing tires for best traction.

im thinking im going to have to sacrafice here.. not wanting to though lol
Old 04-01-2009, 07:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

I have the Mickey Thompson ET Street Radials and I can dead hook on the street with them. I have never driven in the rain with those tires so I can't comment on that. Unfortunately they wear out pretty fast with street driving but since you said your not too worried about that then I would go for them. Essentially no drag radial is going to be good in the rain except for the Nitto's. I have never ran them but people say they are quite decent in the rain. All in all I would go for the Mickeys personally.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:44 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked Mayhem
ok i searched through quite a few drag radial threads on here..

looked through this thread..
https://ls1tech.com/forums/wheels-ti...ead-v-1-a.html

15x10 325/50 going on a chevy luv with a ls motor...

truck will be driven when weather is nice out. i dont plan on taking it out if its raining, but if im out in the truck and it starts raining i want to be able to keep driving and not sit on side of road till it stops...

i would say it will be about 70% street/30% strip

when people say " not good in wet weather " does that mean i cant go over 10mph in the rain?

i want a better explanation on what " not good in wet weather " means. i obviously know im not going to be able to road race in the rain on them, but can i safely drive 40/50 mph in a pretty good rain?

im most interested in the Mickey Thompson ET Street Radials obviously cause they are said to get the best traction. im not worried about how fast they wear out as the truck wont see a ton of miles, and i dont mind replacing tires for best traction.

im thinking im going to have to sacrafice here.. not wanting to though lol
Nobody is going to be able to give you an accurate, "well you can drive XXmph in rain with those tires".

It all depends on the strength of the downpour, how much life you have on the tires, the type of road, what kind of cant the roads has and how much it puddles, etc. etc.

Put it this way...

I would never drive the speed limit, (or at all for that matter) on an interstate or highway with any drag radial in any type of precipitation no matter how warm or cold weather. But that's just me.

Depends what you consider very good rain, but I wouldn't go over 40 on any road with any brand of even new DR's.

I chose BFG's for my drag radials.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

I got caught in the rain once with my MT DR's, scared me to death, 25mph max. I do have a Detroit locker rear end so that may have contributed to the problem.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:01 PM
On The Tree

i know i cant get an exact mph lol...

i think i will say screw it and go ahead and buy the MT's for now... and if i do end up driving the truck quite a bit more, or on longer trips i will buy another set of wheels with like 295 50's. just regular street tires.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:33 AM
Banned

I have been 60-70 mph on the hwy with M/T Radials & a spool with no issues.

I still suggest driving with care.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Rain+MT Drs = accident! I would not drive in the rain with these tires at all. I tried it and i was only going 30mph and went around a slight curve changeing highways and the *** slide out on me and i smacked a guard rail. If i ever get caught in the rain with MT Dr ever again i will pull off the road and wait regardless if I need to be somewhere or not. Tires are great on the street when its not raining and hook well on and off the track. They wear fast but hey a set a summer isn't too bad especially when you can only drive the car 4-5 months a year when its nice out.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cant imagine it being worse than a bald street tire.
Havent done the MTs in the rain, but I have with bald BFG & Nitto DRs and as long as you dont act like a dumb *** and stay aware you should be ok. Prob is the bigger the tire= bigger chance of a hydroplane, since they dont have much tread and dont displace water as well as a thin tire. Still not much worse than a bald street tire of the same size.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:32 AM
TECH Regular

I've got Mickey 325/15's on my Camaro and theres no way I want to have to go any where in the rain with them on.I got another set of tires for the street with probably not a lot of traction but they are good for everyday driving.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:34 PM
On The Tree

yeah i think i am going to end up doing that once the truck is running. i will end up with 295/50's though for street tires. i dont think they have a 325/50 as a regular street radial? lol