Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

need to breathe life into some zr1 wheels

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default need to breathe life into some zr1 wheels

well i got a deal on a set of 17x9.5 zr1's today. they have been sitting in a buddies garage for like 2 years. the metal is flawless and not rashed at all. they look polished, they are not chrome and they dont have that satin like finish. my questions are,
do pollished zr1's come clearcoated?
it looks like the clear is hazed or something. they may just need a good polishing.
what do you guys use to shine up you wheels?
i have no pics right now i will probably fail at getting them being as the wheels are now in my dads garage awaiting to be freshened up.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

*nobody can give me any input on this? a link or anything?
also i noticed some cracking around the outside sidewall of the tires. they have good tread, i would hate to toss some nice michelin tires. but if it is unsafe i am not going to run them. i DD my car and dont drive it real hard.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

If the tires have cracks in the sidewall they arn't any good. Michelin tires are known for doing this due to their rubber compound. If the cracks are very very tiny and not deep at all then it might be ok to run them until you can afford new ones, but I wouldn't drive on them.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks. i am kind of a newb with wheels anyone want to help me out with wheel detailing? there are a couple of black deposites on one wheel. and i need recomendations about giving that nice shine!
Old 04-03-2009, 09:17 PM
Launching!

rub them with some aluminum polish and see if the rag turns black. if so there is no clear on them and you can polish them up easy. if not you will need to strip and polish them or sand and paint.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if they are hazed,then they are clear coated....if they were uncoated and polished,then they would look dull white,if not goldish due to them sitting and not being polished. If they are clear coated...just go to your nearest car parts store and buy aircraft remover,perferably in a aerosol can and strip the clear off and then polish them sir