Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Can you paint a dash?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 01:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can you paint a dash?

I wanted a 00-02 dash cause I like the ebony but I found a good deal on a 99 camaro dash. NOt sure how close in color it is to ebony but if all else fails can you paint a dash, and how would it look and hold up?
Old 04-05-2009, 12:10 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

probably not well (how would it hold up. . .) but with the right prep, you can paint water!
Old 04-05-2009, 04:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Duffster
probably not well (how would it hold up. . .) but with the right prep, you can paint water!
Why wouldn't it hold up, Just get the right stuff. You think the interior stuff is NATURALLY the color it is when Pontiac put it in? No they dyed it the color they wanted.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ethan[ws6]
Why wouldn't it hold up, Just get the right stuff. You think the interior stuff is NATURALLY the color it is when Pontiac put it in? No they dyed it the color they wanted.
depends on the paint you use and if you get rid of the existing coating. Some dashes, like the ones that come in newer ford trucks are cheap black plastic that is painted to any color requested. Others like my old chevy were actually dyed plastic (color was the same all the way through the material) and was easily repainted. if you're buying one that is painted and not dyed you'll have a hell of a time roughing up the textured finish on the plastic, and if you don't completely remove the paint and other contaminants the paint won't stay.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:43 AM

ya you can paint them but try not using a really bright or a really glossy paint cuz it might cause a lot of glare and thats just annoying