LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Engine Noise

Old 04-02-2009, 03:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Engine Noise

I have read all the stuff about the lifter noise...well after 32,000 miles on the dot the lifters are chattering....so my question is...is it really something that needs to be fixed??

It goes away after a while, and it really doesn't bother me...so just wondering if it is worth having the dealership take the whole top end apart...thanks guys.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:37 PM
TECH Resident

mine ave always clicked since itook the engine cover off i figured it was normal
Old 04-02-2009, 09:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noise

My Gxp was making the sound and it bother the hell out of me. My 1997 GP made the same sound 2 weeks be fefore the motor went out. I put a bottle of LUCAS SYNTHETIC OIL STABILIZER with the last oil change and haven't heard it since! I've used MOBILE 1 SYNTHETIC since the first oil change with a AC Delco filter which is what the dealer recommended to me but as of the next changr I'm going to Royal Purple which suppose better and is actually a lil cheaper than the mobil 1 syn in my area!
Old 04-02-2009, 10:20 PM
TECH Addict

I might have to try the stabilizer. It was happening with the M1, so I tried Pennzoil Platinum, and it's still there. Plus, I still have that annoying chatter coming from 4-cyl mode in the city. goes away right as it kicks into 8. Pisses me off, and it's embarrasing to drive around listening to this audible chatter as I approach every stopsign. Driving in 3 all the time is netting me -2mpg, compared to last year...but the difference between 10 and 12mpg is negligible, right?
Old 04-03-2009, 12:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

wow even when im hard on the car the lowest i get is 15 mpg. Synthetic it self wont stop the tic. U could try a slighty high viscosity synthetic. My old audi turbo has lifter tic all the time plus i ran it hard. So i would run castrol Castrol 5w-50 most of the year to help. Figured since colorado has such violent weather changes one day can be 80 next day can be 5 degrees. Low visc for col weather and high visc for the extreme heat the turbo motor can produce when drivin hard. Try some 0w-40 mobile, or in the summer run 10w-40. BG MOA additive is good or Lucas
Old 04-03-2009, 11:26 AM
Teching In

Bryan are you referring to the "loose rocks and pebbles" sound when coasting to a stop? If yes, I personally wouldn't take it to the dealer. As others have mentioned on this subject, the dealership would probably tell you that the sound is completely normal, and to "bleed the collapsible lifters" and see if that helps the noise. My car is about the same mileage as yours, and it has the rattling noise as well. But generally the noise goes away once the oil has completely warmed up. You could always try to "bleed" them by placing the car in park, then keeping the RPM's steady at 2,000 for 2-3 minutes; that seemed to help my noise situation last time I cared to mess with it.

As for just regular lifter noise when starting up - mine has a bit of lifter noise when idling for the first minute or so during cold weather. But just about any car I've owned using Mobil 1 has a bit of lifter / rocker arm chatter upon initial startup. I consider those noises to be completely normal. Oil consumption on my car is minimal - does yours use any between changes?

Cheers,
Old 04-03-2009, 11:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The chattering sound doesn't happen at start up unless it is really cold. The thing that concerns me is this is happening when I am going slowly through a parking lot and not putting any load on the engine...just while coasting.

So I guess it is just something to live with....someday in the future when it is out of warranty, and I have some time/money.another car I plan on taking the AFM lifters out and turning the thing back into a normal V8. So no biggie, just didn't want to hurt the engine or the lifter by not having it looked at....thanks everyone...great feedback/info...and I didn't get flamed for asking about a topic that has been covered alot...
Old 04-04-2009, 06:47 PM
Staging Lane

Lucas synthetic oil stabilizer works mint.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:17 PM
TECH Addict

Do you just pour that stuff in, or do you have to drain some oil first?
Old 04-05-2009, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BuffaloSS
Do you just pour that stuff in, or do you have to drain some oil first?

That depends on your car. If its already full then you need to drain some or wait till you do an oil change. usually the lucas oil stuff comes in a qrt bottle.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

how much do you put in then?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine Noise