LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

EVAP emission canister purge solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 08:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EVAP emission canister purge solenoid

does anyone know if i will be able to remove this part.. im in the process of removing all my EGR/AIR stuff and i wanna know if i can pull this thing with it all...
Old 04-02-2009, 08:29 PM
Launching!

i'm pretty sure i've seen people who have done it before. have noticed !evap in sigs sometimes. did you try searching for an evap delete thread?

here's one i found in drag racing tech - https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...ap-delete.html
Old 04-03-2009, 07:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can do it as many have before. But it will be stinky as you will have a strong smell of fuel from now on from the tank vapors. Just search here or over at CamaroZ28 (as our search is donkey *****) and you'll find some info.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

it doesnt effect gas mileage at all does it?
Old 04-03-2009, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't think so, but I would recc leaving it on. Tons of guys have removed it and then complain about the strong fuel/vapors they smell in their garages.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by collier341
does anyone know if i will be able to remove this part.. im in the process of removing all my EGR/AIR stuff and i wanna know if i can pull this thing with it all...
it doesnt effect gas mileage at all does it?
Yes you can delete it, no it won't affect your gas mileage. Some have said that they smell gas after doing so, I didn't notice anything after I deleted mine along with the rest of my smog stuff.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

They smell Vapors cause they don't get rid of the Charcoal Canister aswell..I just did that recently because to be honest as much as I have torn my Car apart I just found it..lol

To delete the EVAP Solenoid, just remove the Solenoid, and cap off the Vacumn Ports that it's connected to on the Throttle Body. Then for the Line, just go to where it comes into the Engine Bay, pull it out a little bit and snip it, then push it back into the Fender.

This next part was easy for me cause I have a Fuel Pump Access Panel..
Go to the Fuel Sending Unit and find the skinny line coming off of the Sending Unit that doesn't have a Quick-connect Fitting on it. That is the EVAP Canister Vent Line, I think it's all the way on the right if I remember right. Pull that plastic line off of the metal tube and cap it off.

Now to get rid of the Canister..
Jack up the Car on the back drivers side and look closely in the Wheel Well. Toward the back you will see a seperate Panel that has little pop-tabs. Remove this panel and you will see the EVAP Charcoal Canister. Remove the lines that are connecting to it and yank this thing out. Then trace those lines and remove them as well. One of them will be the line that you disconnected at the Sending Unit, the other will go to the lines that eventually go into the Engine Bay. I just removed the plastic piece up to that point and left the metal one alone.

I used to smell Gas vapors in the Car becuase the plug I had in the EVAP line came out..I did this little bit of work and I don't smell anything anymore.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by the_merv
They smell Vapors cause they don't get rid of the Charcoal Canister aswell..I just did that recently because to be honest as much as I have torn my Car apart I just found it..lol

To delete the EVAP Solenoid, just remove the Solenoid, and cap off the Vacumn Ports that it's connected to on the Throttle Body. Then for the Line, just go to where it comes into the Engine Bay, pull it out a little bit and snip it, then push it back into the Fender.

This next part was easy for me cause I have a Fuel Pump Access Panel..
Go to the Fuel Sending Unit and find the skinny line coming off of the Sending Unit that doesn't have a Quick-connect Fitting on it. That is the EVAP Canister Vent Line, I think it's all the way on the right if I remember right. Pull that plastic line off of the metal tube and cap it off.

Now to get rid of the Canister..
Jack up the Car on the back drivers side and look closely in the Wheel Well. Toward the back you will see a seperate Panel that has little pop-tabs. Remove this panel and you will see the EVAP Charcoal Canister. Remove the lines that are connecting to it and yank this thing out. Then trace those lines and remove them as well. One of them will be the line that you disconnected at the Sending Unit, the other will go to the lines that eventually go into the Engine Bay. I just removed the plastic piece up to that point and left the metal one alone.

I used to smell Gas vapors in the Car becuase the plug I had in the EVAP line came out..I did this little bit of work and I don't smell anything anymore.
If you cap off the vent tube that comes out of the sending unit, don't you have to get a vented gas cap? Otherwise you could just put a breather there couldn't you? The vapors have to vent somewhere.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:01 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
If you cap off the vent tube that comes out of the sending unit, don't you have to get a vented gas cap? Otherwise you could just put a breather there couldn't you? The vapors have to vent somewhere.
There are 4 Lines that come off of the Sending Unit.. Fuel Return, Fuel Tank Vent, Fuel Send, and EVAP Vent.
I just plugged off the EVAP one, left the actual factory vent inplace.

Here is an old pic of them when I first did my Panel, this is the stock look to them..

Last edited by the_merv; 04-03-2009 at 02:08 PM.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

awsome man.. appreciate all the help! im gunna try and tackle this removal this week.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:01 PM
Launching!

i have a question about this - i don't quite understand the point. is this to get rid of extra unnecessary stuff for your race car or what gives? sorry i am having a hard time figuring this out
Old 04-03-2009, 08:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

just free up a bunch of clutter/weight... less connections to deal with.. it's really no performance gains to my knowledge.. i just figure if i don't need it.. trash it!
Old 04-03-2009, 08:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by trippinholyman
i have a question about this - i don't quite understand the point. is this to get rid of extra unnecessary stuff for your race car or what gives? sorry i am having a hard time figuring this out
Exactly. No benefit, just less crap. Same as deleting AIR and EGR.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:04 PM
11 Second Club

just free up a bunch of clutter/weight... less connections to deal with.. it's really no performance gains to my knowledge.. i just figure if i don't need it.. trash it!
Less clutter..that and the Gas Tanks is already vented so why not get rid of the extra stuff. I left the line for it that goes under the Car..it's not worth it to remove it. Once you look at it you would understand what I mean.

Quick Reply: EVAP emission canister purge solenoid