Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Still wondering why I hear about manual shifting of 4l60e?

Old 04-03-2009, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Still wondering why I hear about manual shifting of 4l60e?

Here is yet another couple examples of where reviewers mentioned "manually shifting the transmission"! I was told "not to do it"! end of story, but I still yearn to know why it has been brought up so much by reviewers?

Third paragraph in the following review:

http://www.caranddriver.com/buying_g...omparison_test

Sixth paragraph in this review:

http://www.theautochannel.com/vehicl...g12059702.html

I don't really know what to think about this since I've been told time and time again that you "can't shift these autos". But yet I hear of others doing it, even at the strip! I know that one can't beat the computer in speed, but is it even possible to shift manually at all is the bigger question.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I manually shift mine on some occasions, mostly drop it in to third so I dont have to get into to get it to down shift and it making alot of noise but not getting into hard enough to accelerate really hard.....Make sense? Maybe get into 2nd gear if I am going around the right turn merge into traffic things at 2 in the morning having some fun on the way home from work. 95% of time its in OD. It has 123D on the selector for a reason! LOL
Old 04-03-2009, 02:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

If im racing from a 30mph and under roll I will leave it in 1st up till the desired mph then after I go WOT i quickly shift into OD. That way you don't have to wait for your auto to downshift. I think it helps alot but trying to shift it at the right time is not a good combo.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

id like to see some more people chime in on this... i find my self where the OP is on this....
Old 04-03-2009, 04:14 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Personally I see no issue with it other than the following circumstance.
1-DOWN SHIFTING AT 0 THROTTLE ALOT COULD WEAR THE OVERUN CLUTCH SET PREMATURLEY BUT NOT UNDER THROTTLE.
2-When the trans has the transgo HD2 installed this can allow the shift manual to first to be done at any speed. This could allow trans internal parts to reach very high rpm which may or may not cause and issue and certainly could overev the engine to the point of possible damage.

But all and all with the exception of the above when you manually shift and electronic trans you are not actually shifting it anyway. You are not allowing the comand for the next gear up to accur when you do move the shifter up the PCM is still what makes the command. Same with a down shift with the exception of the 2-1 with the TG kit you can only dpown shift to the point the PCM would allow anyway.
I dont see where its hurts a thing. In fact launching in manual 1 turns on both the overun clutch and the low reverse clutch which will help support the input sprag and the low roller clutch.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 04-03-2009, 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by performabuilt
Personally I see no issue with it other than the following circumstance.
1-DOWN SHIFTING AT 0 THROTTLE ALOT COULD WEAR THE OVERUN CLUTCH SET PREMATURLEY BUT NOT UNDER THROTTLE.
2-When the trans has the transgo HD2 installed this can allow the shift manual to first to be done at any speed. This could allow trans internal parts to reach very high rpm which may or may not cause and issue and certainly could overev the engine to the point of possible damage.

But all and all with the exception of the above when you manually shift and electronic trans you are not actually shifting it anyway. You are not allowing the comand for the next gear up to accur when you do move the shifter up the PCM is still what makes the command. Same with a down shift with the exception of the 2-1 with the TG kit you can only dpown shift to the point the PCM would allow anyway.
I dont see where its hurts a thing. In fact launching in manual 1 turns on both the overun clutch and the low reverse clutch which will help support the input sprag and the low roller clutch.

What is the hd2 transgo kit and how does one know if it is installed? Thanks for the helpful info btw.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:27 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Its a shift kit . Put your car in manual low and take off and leave it there floored do you hit the redline or does the shift happen anyway, If it happens anyway you do not have the HD2. Or alternatly cruise up to about 40 in D let off the throttle and pull all the way back to 1 if it goes to first with a very sudden jerk imediatley it has the HD2 and if instead it goes down to second then when slow enough goes to first you do not.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 04-03-2009, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by performabuilt
Its a shift kit . Put your car in manual low and take off and leave it there floored do you hit the redline or does the shift happen anyway, If it happens anyway you do not have the HD2. Or alternatly cruise up to about 40 in D let off the throttle and pull all the way back to 1 if it goes to first with a very sudden jerk imediatley it has the HD2 and if instead it goes down to second then when slow enough goes to first you do not.
Well I guess what I'm asking is this; is this HD2 and aftermarket add on or is it found on factory cars? If it is not factory I doubt I have it since my car was owned by a doctor, all the mods on it are from me. Thanks again.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:41 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Its and aftermarket addon
I really think that people get the idea that manually shifting hurts because there trans tends to break more when doing it , The truth is its why they are manually shifting that breaks it lol

Call 888-744-6542

Old 04-03-2009, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I see your point lol.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would you rev match the down shift then, if you had a rmvb like on a six speed car?

Also is it ok if the down shifting was being done at responable rpm and mph?
Old 04-03-2009, 11:25 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I dont see any issue with downshifting under throttle at all with the exception of the above mentioned TG thing.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 04-04-2009, 04:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

It's not that you CAN'T do it.

It's just that with the stock tune/converter/everything else.....Or with a properly tuned converter setup....The computer shifts FAR more accurately and consistently than you will. So it's kind of detrimental unless the tune is wrong and the trans isn't shifting itself like it should.

My car with just a cat-back went dead consistent 13.06-13.07 hotlapping with it in 3(Out of overdrive).
Old 04-04-2009, 09:30 AM
Banned

I went .2 consistantly faster at the track by manually shifting.
It doesn't shift the second you move the lever, even if it's above the shift rpm, you have to get used to that.
I later tuned it to shift automatically at a higher rpm, and it consistantly runs the same times as it did when I was shifting it manually at the same rpm.

Why it's been brought up by reviewers? my guess would be because they seen the same results I did, theres more power in the higher rpm ranges and with a stock converter and stock shift points you never use it.

It's also why people put high stall converters in stock cars and run faster.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:42 AM
Launching!

Can you program a shift kit to apply the overrun and lo/rev clutches in first only but leave the selector in D? That way you have the extra support to get the car moving but don't have to manually shift cause I can't shift faster than the PCM can command. The only time I downshift is in my K5 Blazer for engine braking.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow, there is a whole lot of stuff I didn't know about this topic. Thanks guys for helping to clear that up. From what I gather, if you can put the shifter in first and simply hold it there, it will shift to 2nd anyways when it surpasses it's designated rpm shift point. Seems like what Performabuilt is saying will happen without a shift kit. It also sounds like if you are in 3rd and throttle the engine up you can drop to 2nd and not have to wait for the pcm to do it's thing. That way it happens when it should- NOW~!

* as far as I can tell, with proper tuning and adjusting of the shift points etc in the pcm (via handheld or hptuners etc) one can expect results in shifting similar to those experienced with a shift kit. Feel free to chime in if this is inaccurate information.
Old 04-04-2009, 01:15 PM
12 Second Club

I have shifted my trans before. If you race for instance a Manual car at say 50mph, if you honk 3 times and go together, the manual will inmediately will pull on you, but if you put your auto in 2nd, your rpm's will be like at 3500 or so and go he will not pull much if at all. What I do is put it on 2nd and inmediately when I wot, I move the lever to D, And it usually shifts fine. This is how I have managed to keep up with manual cars from a roll. I am hurting the trans. doing this??
Old 04-04-2009, 01:47 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by PedaltoMetal
Can you program a shift kit to apply the overrun and lo/rev clutches in first only but leave the selector in D? That way you have the extra support to get the car moving but don't have to manually shift cause I can't shift faster than the PCM can command. The only time I downshift is in my K5 Blazer for engine braking.
Interesting idea. I have considered that and while you cant do it with a shift kit you can do the OVERUN that way, I think FLT is messing with that part now. I am kinda watching on how people feel about the auto downshifts. (Some people are way fickel) with it on.
The Low/reverse would be a great idea to but unlike the overuns where the circuit to do that allready exsist and only needs a minor mod keep it on in 1-2-3 in the D position (its allready on in the D position in first stock) The circuit for low/reverse does not exsist So from looking would require a pass thru solenoid to make a feed to it when both solenoid were on in first. The electronics would be easy the hydraulics not to bad, The real question would be for those who drive around in D-3 all the time and the constant cycling of the low/reverse piston. It was not really ever intended to do that so there would be some question of durability there.
I suppose however you could put a disable switch on it.

Originally Posted by oddwraith
Wow, there is a whole lot of stuff I didn't know about this topic. Thanks guys for helping to clear that up. From what I gather, if you can put the shifter in first and simply hold it there, it will shift to 2nd anyways when it surpasses it's designated rpm shift point. Seems like what Performabuilt is saying will happen without a shift kit. It also sounds like if you are in 3rd and throttle the engine up you can drop to 2nd and not have to wait for the pcm to do it's thing. That way it happens when it should- NOW~!

* as far as I can tell, with proper tuning and adjusting of the shift points etc in the pcm (via handheld or hptuners etc) one can expect results in shifting similar to those experienced with a shift kit. Feel free to chime in if this is inaccurate information.
Not correct a shift kit is way better than tuning and all shift kits do not make the forced 1st gear in manual low and in fact you do not have to do that part in the transgo. You just leave the 1-2 shift valve stock and it will not affect the other actions of the kit.

Originally Posted by 99_ls1_z28
I have shifted my trans before. If you race for instance a Manual car at say 50mph, if you honk 3 times and go together, the manual will inmediately will pull on you, but if you put your auto in 2nd, your rpm's will be like at 3500 or so and go he will not pull much if at all. What I do is put it on 2nd and inmediately when I wot, I move the lever to D, And it usually shifts fine. This is how I have managed to keep up with manual cars from a roll. I am hurting the trans. doing this??
In my opinion NO you are not hurting anything,
I will however say that a properly tuned pcm for the auto will still perform better than manually shifting .

Call 888-744-6542

Old 04-04-2009, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dammit, I thought I had it right there finally! Thanks again.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

^^^if you leave it in 1st then it won't shift into 2nd for you until you either put it in 2,3, or D.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Still wondering why I hear about manual shifting of 4l60e?