Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Car only spins one tire on a right-hand turn?

Old 10-23-2003, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Car only spins one tire on a right-hand turn?

I have a 98 SS with the Auburn rear. The car will spin both tires on left turns and straight, perfectly. However, on at right turn, it will always spin the inside tire. I found out tonight in the rain, I was trying to pull out from a stop sign on a steep hill, and I couldn't make it up the hill. IN THE RAIN! The stupid passenger tire just kept spinning. What is that all about?

I recently changed the fluid with some Redline 85w140 and GM posi additive. Could that be the issue? Are you not supposed to add the additive with Auburns or that weight or something? Grrrr.

Dope
Old 10-24-2003, 11:50 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Get rid of the Redline fluid ASAP.Synthetic is no good on Auburn rears.Makes them slip more.
Old 10-26-2003, 03:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
Get rid of the Redline fluid ASAP.Synthetic is no good on Auburn rears.Makes them slip more.
Interesting. So what are Auburn users using then?

Dope
Old 10-26-2003, 07:09 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dope
Interesting. So what are Auburn users using then?

Dope
Non-synthetic
Old 11-04-2003, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
Non-synthetic
Okay, so I drained the rear, cleaned it out with some brake cleaner, and put in some plain ole dino 85W140 I had laying around. No additive (figured I could add it later if I needed to). No change in the posi operation. Is it ruined from the synethetic or what? Does it take a while for it to fix itself?

Crappy.

Dope
Old 11-05-2003, 09:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used Redline in my 10 bolt when I had 4.10's.I ran it for a whole season with no problems. I put in the 3.42's in the 10 bolt with regular oil and I blew the posi. I also had the Auburn rear. I would pull off the cover and check out the gears in the posi.The gears were not mated right.
I do not think the 10 bolt went because I used a synthetic.I hurt the rear when I tried racing on a well heated tire
Old 11-05-2003, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you sure it's not a torsen? If it's a torsen is WILL spin only one tire around a corner. If it's the auburn regular 80-90 oil, or whatever your climate demands, is the way to go.
Old 11-05-2003, 05:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put an auburn posi and 410's. I decided to put in the GM 75w 90 with the addittive.
Old 11-05-2003, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, it's definitely an Auburn. It's listed on the window sticker, and it has the yellow springs in the posi itself. How do I check to see if the gears are engaging or whatever?

A torsen will most certainly spin both tires around a corner. My old 2000 Camaro SS had a torsen and it would spin them both without issue (except in reverse sometimes, oddly enough). I had that car for 3 years and never had a problem with kicking the rear out on a corner.

So, any ideas? New posi? Like I said, works great on left turns and straight, but only spins the passenger tire on a right turn. It really sucks because there's a really steep hill with a stop sign on the way back from work. I take a right at the sign. In the rain, I sometimes can't even make it up the hill. It just keeps spinning the tire and not moving (to the point where it actually goes backwards). I have to baby it terribly and burn up the clutch to make it.

I wonder if the clutches are ruined from the slippage. But still, it works in any other situation. Weird. Maybe it'll break in a bit. This is gonna suck in the winter.

Dope
Old 11-06-2003, 12:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could be burned up but I don't know, I wouldn't think so. The posi only has so much clamping force. If you are on a really steep hill and the car has the left rear planted the right side is gonna spin. It's not a locker and it is meant to slip. So you will probably just have to deal with it.

Chris

Search this Thread