General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Overheating! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 12:39 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Overheating! Help!

Okay I was driving my Firebird and it got a little hot so I pull over and by this time the check guages light is on and the needle is almost all the way over. I check the water level and its all the way to the top. Apparently. I let the car cool down and have a tow truck on the way and I check the level again. Empty. WTF?! Theres some water on the ground but maybe like a half a cup. No more. The car is cool enough that I take the radiator cap off. Empty. So I fill both the Reservoir and the radiator while the car is running and the temp guage continues to rise. (Past 240) Shut the car off and have it towed.

So here is the cliffnotes

-The car is not taking water from the Reservoir
-The car is running hot while it is full of water
-No water in the oil nor coming out the exhaust (Dont think its a blown head gasket)
-Appears to be a small leak or overflow from the Reservoir cap or line somewhere
-No water dripping from the water pump or radiator

So Im thinking its the....water pump? Any way to tell?
Old 04-04-2009, 12:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmm..Did you check your thermostat?
Old 04-04-2009, 01:06 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by nhraracer
Okay I was driving my Firebird and it got a little hot so I pull over and by this time the check guages light is on and the needle is almost all the way over. I check the water level and its all the way to the top. Apparently. I let the car cool down and have a tow truck on the way and I check the level again. Empty. WTF?! Theres some water on the ground but maybe like a half a cup. No more. The car is cool enough that I take the radiator cap off. Empty. So I fill both the Reservoir and the radiator while the car is running and the temp guage continues to rise. (Past 240) Shut the car off and have it towed.

So here is the cliffnotes

-The car is not taking water from the Reservoir
-The car is running hot while it is full of water
-No water in the oil nor coming out the exhaust (Dont think its a blown head gasket)
-Appears to be a small leak or overflow from the Reservoir cap or line somewhere
-No water dripping from the water pump or radiator

So Im thinking its the....water pump? Any way to tell?
Water pumps don't ever stop pumping water, unless you're like 1 in a million that has a shaft break.

Take the t-stat out and bolt the housing back up, start the engine and let it idle, FIRST see if the water immediatlely starts to flow with the radiator cap off, top it off then see if it stays at a normal temp. after you put the radiator cap back on. Sounds like the t-stat is stuck closed. Toss it in a pot of water while its out, stick a thermometer in the water as it heats up and see if it opens at the proper temp. (whatever your t-stat is). That'll take you about 20 minutes to do all that. If the little dick doesn't come out of the t-stat, get a new one.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:18 PM
12 Second Club

Well I was right all along though I didnt list a symptom as I didnt know it was the water pump. I put the car under a pressure test and water came pouring out the water pump. Also turns out the ticking noise I thought was a lifter (And therefore didnt list it) was the water pump.

Thanks for the help
Old 04-11-2009, 05:57 PM
11 Second Club

Good thing you caught it before something worst happened...
Old 04-11-2009, 10:00 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Must be a really bad leak. When the coolant cools down, it contracts in volume and then siphons more coolant from the overflow reservoir. If you have an air leak in the system that breaks the siphon, your radiator level will go down.

When you get the new pump, you may want to do another pressure test and make sure your radiator cap is good also.