Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Installing Walbro 255 fuel pump question

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 12:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Installing Walbro 255 fuel pump question

I've searched, and searched, and cannot find anything on it. I'm about to install this pump, but i have 2 concerns. 1, since the pump is submerged in gasoline, and you have to splice the wiring harness to the stock harness, won't that cause a big kaboom? And also, will the walbro pump overload the stock wiring and fry it? Thanks for any info.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:13 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Based on the fact you have to splice wires in the tank, I would say you bought a universal kit. Do yourself a favor, return it & buy a direct fit pump for your car & save yourself some grief.... this way you will not be one of the many posting about pump failures.

As for splicing, it is not good, but will work if done correctly. Typically there is not enough air in the tank for an explosion, this is why you can get away with things that potentially spark while submerged in gasoline. Personally I would not use a butt splice in the tank, but I see this from time to time. I've also seen them black & melted due to a bad connection.

Concerning stock wiring & a bigger pump... I would run a hot wire kit. The factory f-body wiring is marginal at best & a good hotwire kit will improve pump performance nearly 10%. I will not install an aftermarket pump without one.

I see hundreds of pumps per year in the shop & also notice that a large percentage of the posts in this section are about pump failures & problems. Cutting corners here is not the place to do it.

Last edited by Lonnies Performance; 04-04-2009 at 08:18 PM.