Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Another GM head unit in an F-Body..

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 07:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Another GM head unit in an F-Body..

I still have the stock HU and I want to be able to play MP3's... I don't want to install an aftermarket HU, does anyone know if another GM unit with a little pluggin and playin will mount up??
Old 04-04-2009, 09:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

read this threat https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...camaro-bird.html

use iphone or use ipod
Old 04-04-2009, 11:40 PM
10 Second Club

I dont have an iphone or an ipod.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

not gonna happen
Old 04-05-2009, 12:48 AM
TECH Resident

i think that the only way dont think GM HU making mp3
Old 04-05-2009, 12:57 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by tsench
i think that the only way dont think GM HU making mp3
My 07 Silverado has a 6 disk, which plays MP3's.... I dont think it will fit into the TA though.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:58 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
not gonna happen
No ones done it???

It seems that every time I have had an after market system, the TA gets broken into, so I want to keep it stock looking.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

harness will not match up
will not fit dash
modern gm radios dont use an ignition lead the bcm tells them to turn on
Old 04-05-2009, 01:05 AM
10 Second Club

ugg....
Old 04-05-2009, 08:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

the only way is to make a line in in the oem radio, then use a laptop or mp3 player to control your music which i'd hate doing too. been there done that, really annoying.

jeez where do you live? just get a dull looking one.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:53 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Flaring Afro
the only way is to make a line in in the oem radio, then use a laptop or mp3 player to control your music which i'd hate doing too. been there done that, really annoying.

jeez where do you live? just get a dull looking one.
when the car got broke into twice, I lived in San Antonio.. .Now I am up here in MN and the car is not my DD, so I guess I will just put an aftermarket HU in.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:53 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by waterbug1999
when the car got broke into twice, I lived in San Antonio.. .Now I am up here in MN and the car is not my DD, so I guess I will just put an aftermarket HU in.
got my ss stolen at gunpoint in san antonio..then got it broken into 3500 worth of stuff gone.. bought a trans am and leaving it stock..or atleast trying too!!!!!!!!!!! hide away box and amp with a stock HU..works for me just wish i could play my ipod i dont wanna pay 100 bucks for something when i can pay 300 for a pioneer touchscreen double din..if only that ipod module thing was as cheap as it should be for what it does....dammm
Old 04-07-2009, 12:18 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by claytonr
got my ss stolen at gunpoint in san antonio..then got it broken into 3500 worth of stuff gone.. bought a trans am and leaving it stock..or atleast trying too!!!!!!!!!!! hide away box and amp with a stock HU..works for me just wish i could play my ipod i dont wanna pay 100 bucks for something when i can pay 300 for a pioneer touchscreen double din..if only that ipod module thing was as cheap as it should be for what it does....dammm
Sorry to hear that, it sux, i know. I also had my shorted, step side Chevrolet stolen while I was in a bar having a few drinks in SA too... But, this is the main reason I want to stick with a GM HU, not so flashy, lol.

But, a few guys i have talked with say there's plays MP3, so when i get the TA out of storage i will just throw one in and see what happens.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:30 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

But, a few guys i have talked with say there's plays MP3, so when i get the TA out of storage i will just throw one in and see what happens.
Good luck with that... let us know how it works out for you.

There are no GM factory head units that play MP3s that will fit in an f-body. First, none of them are 1.5 DIN. Second, although you could physically fit a GM double DIN MP3 head unit, you'd need a new trim bezel and it still wouldn't connect to the f-body wiring. Finally, even if you could figure out a way to connect the wiring, the security system in the head unit (the lastest version of TheftLock) doesn't communicate with an f-body BCM so the HU would just lock up and refuse to work.

If there are any 1.5 DIN MP3 head units it would have to be from a Pontiac Vibe. The Vibe continued to have 1.5 DIN HUs through the 04 model but I don't think any of them were MP3 compatible.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 04-07-2009 at 01:37 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:41 PM
10 Second Club

Thats what I thought.. I think the peeps that told me different prolly dont know what MP3's are.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:04 AM
Teching In

Default yep

All newer Gm HU needs the bcm/pcm signal. Its not possible ( that is what i read) to operate it seperate. And also most are double DIN.

BUT:

Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler and Plym.) used more 1.5 DIN Radios. Some modells are MP3 possible. But also the newer ones need signal from computer. But some modells can convert it to GM harness .
Old 04-08-2009, 11:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Honestly dude, do what I did and just pick up the cheapest ipod you can and purchase the "gm ipod interface kit" for your head unit. Mine just plugged into the port at the rear of the HU *(the one for the cd disk changer-make sure your hu has that first) and I just ran the wire to my glove box*very easy, no cutting or drilling. Then I just plug my ipod into that wire in the glove box and it not only allows me to use the ipod to contral my music but I can still control it via the hu or the steering wheel controls. So basically where once my glove box was full of bulky cds, it now has only my little wee ipod with over a thousand songs on it. Very nice and you don't see one single wire, the ipod either, and the car remains stock looking.

Warning, the ipods are a little cheaper now if you go with a nano *(don't go with a shuffle as i don't think they have the right port or no screen) but the interface kit is not cheap. I bought mine from usa direct i believe. Worth EVERY penny to me though.

I was in your boat last summer and this was the best choice i ever made. My cd player didn't work in my monsoon unit so I was a little confused as to what to do, this was the answer for me.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:45 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by oddwraith
Honestly dude, do what I did and just pick up the cheapest ipod you can and purchase the "gm ipod interface kit" for your head unit. Mine just plugged into the port at the rear of the HU *(the one for the cd disk changer-make sure your hu has that first) and I just ran the wire to my glove box*very easy, no cutting or drilling. Then I just plug my ipod into that wire in the glove box and it not only allows me to use the ipod to contral my music but I can still control it via the hu or the steering wheel controls. So basically where once my glove box was full of bulky cds, it now has only my little wee ipod with over a thousand songs on it. Very nice and you don't see one single wire, the ipod either, and the car remains stock looking.

Warning, the ipods are a little cheaper now if you go with a nano *(don't go with a shuffle as i don't think they have the right port or no screen) but the interface kit is not cheap. I bought mine from usa direct i believe. Worth EVERY penny to me though.

I was in your boat last summer and this was the best choice i ever made. My cd player didn't work in my monsoon unit so I was a little confused as to what to do, this was the answer for me.

Gotcha... but what do you mean the HU for the CD disk changer? Mine just has the single disk that has problems when it gets hot. sometimes the disk wont go in and the display goes to ****. Im really thinking that the HU is having problems all together.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:49 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Gotcha... but what do you mean the HU for the CD disk changer? Mine just has the single disk that has problems when it gets hot. sometimes the disk wont go in and the display goes to ****. Im really thinking that the HU is having problems all together.
To use a input adapter that connects to the CD-Changer port you need a headunit than can control the CD-Changer.

These are the models that can can control the CD-Changer:
1998 - 2002 Cassette
mid-1999 - 2002 CD

The only way to tell which mid/late 1999 headunits can control the CD-Changer is to either open it up and check the code printed on the motherboard or to plug in the adapter and try it.

Your best bet is to stick with a 2001-2002 model CD player since supposedly they can control both the CD-Changer and an AUX Device, although that is unconfirmed.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:51 PM
10 Second Club

Gotcha... Thanks.