Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Cig lighter into Garage door opener how to

Old 04-05-2009, 12:54 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Cig lighter into Garage door opener how to

This mod will basically work for any type of vehicle with a push-in cigarette lighter. The pics I have are from the install on my 4th gen Z-28

Objective:
Convert cigarette lighter in center console into a push button garage door opener. The cig lighter will no longer function as a lighter only a stealthy james-bond style button. Could be used for an ejector seat as well...... or any other push button style system

Parts needed:
Garage door opener( duh )
Remote for garage door with push button activation

-Sauldering gun & saulder
-Strand thin gauge wire. About 2 8 inch pieces, or just use a joined wire of 8 inches. Speaker wire will work.
-Wire cutters & crimpers
-(2) female spade connectors to fit wire

**optional**
-File

1. Remove shift ****.
-Automatics have a staple that needs to be pulled straight out (twoards the radio).

2. Remove the upper center console.
-Held on with 2 bolts inside the storage bin under the coin holder.
-Console will then lift away from the base.
-Unplug cigarette ligher and (if automatic) don't forget to unplug the small bulb for the shifter plate.

3. Turn upper console over and attach spade connectors with wire to the two prongs shown

4. Open remote and remove circuit board.
-Find button that controls the door. Behind the button on the opposite side of the board you will see the saulder points for the button.
-W/ remote battery installed, test the two prongs/saulder points with a jumper wire. When the circuit is complete the door will function.

5. Remove battery and saulder other end of wire to each of these functioning posts

6. Replace battery and test

7. **Optional** file remote housing to create 2 notches for the wire to pass thru without pinching it.

8. Bend in metal tab inside lighter housing with a screwdriver or file. It barely has to be moved, but you want it so when you depress the cig lighter it doesnt hold it down. Basically making the lighter a momentary switch.

9. Replace console and position garage door opener in "factory location" (a small plastic cubby that looks as if it were made to hold a garage door opener)

Old 04-05-2009, 01:05 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that is so cool... one day when I have time to do this, I'll impress my wife when she gets home How long does it take you?
Old 04-05-2009, 01:09 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 7camaro7
that is so cool... one day when I have time to do this, I'll impress my wife when she gets home How long does it take you?
To impress the wife? 5-20 seconds....

to do the mod.. 30-45 min lol
Old 04-05-2009, 01:51 AM
TECH Resident

looks like I know what I'll be doing tomorrow. I even have an extra remote and momentary switch from when I installed my viper 5900 alarm.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did this today.

Slick as ****.

I would do this to the daily drivers, but they don't have lighters!

Thanks, Corvettekid82.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

this could make an awesome power switch to my carputer. nice job.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:32 PM
TECH Resident

did this today also. Like I said before I had an extra momentary switch from my viper install. I don't have a cigarette lighter (installed my e-cutout switch there) but if you open there ash tray lid (ash tray removed, it is where I put my iPod nano and is where the USB cable for HPTuners is located) there is a half inch or so plastic lip on the right hand side, i drilled a hole and i installed the small push-in push button switch there, works great!!! I was also trying to use channel 6 from my viper remote to trigger the garage door using a relay but it seems like that channel is shot and not delivering a (-) pulse to the relay. Instead I was able to use the "progressive door lock" pulse (2nd press of unlock button) to control the relay to open and close the garage door, works even better than using channel 6 (if it worked). If anyone wants to know how that works....
relay:
85 to +12V battery (always hot)
86 to progressive door lock wire, or channel 4, 5 or 6, etc.
87A open
87 to wire going to one side of the remote button, then this wire goes back to the momentary switch
30 to wire going to the other side of the remote button, then this wire goes back to the other side of the momentary switch

once you active channel 4, 5, 6 etc, or progressive locks or whatever clever thing you can think of, it will activate the relay and short out the garage remote button, thus opening or closing the garage door. I have a detached garage so when I get home from work I can use my ash tray button, when I walk to my place I use the viper remote, walking to my car in the morning, viper remote, leaving in my car, ash tray button, WORKS OUT PERFECTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by vjo90rs8; 04-06-2009 at 12:56 AM.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:41 PM
Teching In

WOW what an awesome setup!!!
Old 04-06-2009, 09:04 PM
TECH Resident

that is really cool!!! i wish i had a garage ahahahhaa
Old 04-06-2009, 09:55 PM
TECH Resident

Nice Setup.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:49 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by vjo90rs8
I have a detached garage so when I get home from work I can use my ash tray button, when I walk to my place I use the viper remote, walking to my car in the morning, viper remote, leaving in my car, ash tray button, WORKS OUT PERFECTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Actually, if you use the "second channel" from the progressive door lock mod then you don't need a separate button in the car... the door unlock button on each door will produce the same pulse. So you can use the remote when you're outside the car and either door unlock button when inside the car.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:33 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Actually, if you use the "second channel" from the progressive door lock mod then you don't need a separate button in the car... the door unlock button on each door will produce the same pulse. So you can use the remote when you're outside the car and either door unlock button when inside the car.
I'll have to try when I get home, makes sense. Then I could use that button for something else.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:47 AM
TECH Resident

Actually it won't work with the door lock button, I guess I didn't make it clear, I am using the 2nd lock pulse wire from my Viper 5900 alarm.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:55 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by vjo90rs8
Actually it won't work with the door lock button, I guess I didn't make it clear, I am using the 2nd lock pulse wire from my Viper 5900 alarm.
Oh... I thought you meant the extra "channel" created by the progressive door lock mod. The inside door unlock buttons produce the same pulse as the second press of the unlock button on the factory remote.

I did the progressive door lock mod years ago and have never found a good use for the extra "channel" - until now. My garage door opener uses one of those small 12V barrel batteries so I plan to short the button (so that it is always "pressed") and then use the 12V pulse from the BCM to trigger the door opener. That way I'll never have to worry about replacing batteries.

Thanks for the idea.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Oh... I thought you meant the extra "channel" created by the progressive door lock mod. The inside door unlock buttons produce the same pulse as the second press of the unlock button on the factory remote.

I did the progressive door lock mod years ago and have never found a good use for the extra "channel" - until now. My garage door opener uses one of those small 12V barrel batteries so I plan to short the button (so that it is always "pressed") and then use the 12V pulse from the BCM to trigger the door opener. That way I'll never have to worry about replacing batteries.

Thanks for the idea.
Yeah, mine uses the small 12V battery also, I was thinking of doing the same thing the next time I feel like stripping and soldering wires, seems like I have been doing a lot of that lately. Glad to help, especially our forum electrical guru.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:59 PM
On The Tree

this is a pretty neat idea. i would have never thought of this. now i just need a garage.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Very cool! Think i may try this.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:55 AM
TECH Resident

I'm gonna dig this old thread up. I was just thinking today about adding a asr button where the blank is in my car since my car doesn't have asr and doing a garage door opener there. Then I stumbled upon this. Great mod.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Can this be used as a momentary switch for cutout?
Old 02-14-2012, 04:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes it can

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cig lighter into Garage door opener how to