Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

valve seals.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 12:48 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default valve seals.

How do you replace valve seals-like tools and what to check for.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:50 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by tillery
How do you replace valve seals-like tools and what to check for.
is the heads on the car or off?
Old 04-05-2009, 03:55 PM
12 Second Club

On the car, Its been a very long time since done this, I got the Tims Tool for the springs removal. I blew out 2 at the track friday night and Its pulling all the oil out into the exhaust. Driver side. Its was cool. Was running 8.2 in the 8th and last pass at the turn around it was smoking bad, Idle went up and could hear like a vac leak from driver side Valve cover. And a crap load of oil out of same side muffler.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:01 PM
12 Second Club

Reason I know it was 2 because # 1 and 7 tubes have oil in them and well ran out of those 2 cylinder when plugs pulled. I was concerned about the heads may have broken because of porting but all looks ok. And Because my idle going up like a vac leak which it was threw the intake valve seal, had to be that. have to replace springs anyway. Just dont remember about the seals.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:34 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by tillery
Reason I know it was 2 because # 1 and 7 tubes have oil in them and well ran out of those 2 cylinder when plugs pulled. I was concerned about the heads may have broken because of porting but all looks ok. And Because my idle going up like a vac leak which it was threw the intake valve seal, had to be that. have to replace springs anyway. Just dont remember about the seals.
Well if its on the car you have to use a Air compression hose to plug into the spark plug hole, to keep the valves/lifters or whatever up..Then you take the spring compressor, push down, take out the locks, then de-compress the springpull of the retainer and spring and the seal will be on the seat..Sometimes the seal comes off by itself, sometimes it takes the seat with it..

Its easy with the heads off the car
Old 04-05-2009, 04:34 PM
TECH Regular

And use some pliers and pull of the seal
Old 04-05-2009, 04:37 PM
12 Second Club

Was thinking of pulling the haeds so they can be milled for more compresion-They are TSP 2.5 LS6s and I got A -4 cc piston so I got plenty clearance. Just hav to get car back up for now.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:27 PM
TECH Regular

it is easy to do on the car, put the cylinder at TDC, make sure it is, compress the spring, take the locks off with a pen magnet, before u compress the spring give it a couple taps with a plastic/rubber mallet, loosening the locks so they dont go flying! take the locks off decompress the spring (the valves will drop a tad on the top of the piston) use some pliers and grip the seals ad twist them around and pull them off, make sure ur seats are seated on there and take a new seal put it on and i used a socket that was a deep and about that size and just tapped the seal on and into place u can tell/hear when your seated....then i just tried to pull the valve up and see if it would stay there, sometimes it would sometimes not, and compressed the spring and used the magnet and placed the locks around it and then used my finger to hold them on and decompress the spring, make sure you center the spring during compression sometimes decompressing will be a little out of align and the locks will want to come off due to the spring hitting them on decompression............very easy to do just time consuming, i guess take the heads off if your doing headwork but 2 valve seals or 16valve seals is no reason IMO to pull off the heads..just my 2 cents
Old 04-05-2009, 05:36 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks, I have to put her back on the road since it s my DD. I knew it was slightly hurt and heard something at the end of the track, But I shut it down immediatly. Nothing else got hurt-just a little embarased at the smoke tho. I have to replace all springs due to the miles and cam I have. And yea, Heads will come off when a second vehicle is gotten so I can afford down time with this one.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:04 PM
TECH Regular

good luck! its not too bad