Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: how did/would YOU build your drag machine.
street/strip
76.62%
all out race
23.38%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

street/strip or trailered race car.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default street/strip or trailered race car.

i was just talking with my dad and we got on to the subject of trailered VS driving to the track, or really, just a car thats streetable VS all out track car, no tags, insurance, smog, RACE GAS, etc.

to ME, i'd rather have an 8 second car you can drive to the track comfortably, CLEAN HOUSE on the lame trailered cars, then drive home. to me, that is the ULTIMATE testimate of a build if a guy can build a ***** to the wall PUMP gas street car that you can drive almost anywhere. he says its not worth the hassle. he says its not worth the hassle of the cops bothering you, etc.

i was just wondering how you guys feel about the subject....

and how many of you guys get bothered by the cops?
Old 04-05-2009, 02:40 PM
9 Second Club

its stupid to spend all that money to build a car...then have the possabily of some old lady totaling it on the way home, or getting cought in the rain...or getting introuble or wrecking it. When you have a house note, kids, etc. etc. or take your family/crew to the track. I think its just stupid.

I like having all my stuff loaded up, grill, food etc. etc. and having a good time..... racing and going home. If it blows up, stick it in the trailer and still have a good time.

I used to think the way you do, but now I just think its foolish....someone will always be faster, and you never stay on top for long. so whats the point? waste your money.... just how I feel about it.
Old 04-05-2009, 02:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll eventually get a nice trailer and use it for my car, but my only requirement regardless of what direction I go with this car is that it remain streetable and I have the option to drive it to the track if I choose. I love to race the car, but 95% of the time, I just cruise around town in it and I want to always be able to do that.
Old 04-05-2009, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mdacton
I like having all my stuff loaded up, grill, food etc. etc. and having a good time..... racing and going home. If it blows up, stick it in the trailer and still have a good time.
thats EXACTLY what he said. ahhaha.

damn old farts... always runing us young peoples fun with your logic...
Old 04-05-2009, 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99Hawk262
I'll eventually get a nice trailer and use it for my car, but my only requirement regardless of what direction I go with this car is that it remain streetable and I have the option to drive it to the track if I choose. I love to race the car, but 95% of the time, I just cruise around town in it and I want to always be able to do that.
yup. thats how i see it too. to me its nice to see that street car / race car line get really blurry. because alot of the time it is...
Old 04-05-2009, 03:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i see a totaly track car as lame y build a car you can only run so ofter thern half the year it just sits there. in my opinion trailer queens are
Old 04-05-2009, 03:25 PM
8 Second Club

It cost alot to have a car to do both. And you just dont see a car that can do both well. If you say o joe blow has a street car that runs fast , If it is to the point to have to have a 25.5 SFI it is not safe to drive on the street . That is where my car is now and you just cant see out of it and if you where in a wreck ,to many bars without a helment on. My car has done all the cruises even the long haule crew on the power tour. The 5 oclock rush hour trafic in memphis . We run 8.60s on pump gas 4 years ago stock suspision and street tires. The car would have went 8.30 easy if we would have been a race car. The trailer is alot better. if you break you dont have all the worry. I drive my car on the street but not the track. I have a track 15 miles from my house a 600 ft track i do drive up their to watch and make a little hit but i dont consider that a trip to the track. i have a worry if the car breaks down on the way to are from and your car setting on the side of the road.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I enjoy driving my racecar on the street from time to time.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:03 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by kmracer
i was just talking with my dad and we got on to the subject of trailered VS driving to the track, or really, just a car thats streetable VS all out track car, no tags, insurance, smog, RACE GAS, etc.

to ME, i'd rather have an 8 second car you can drive to the track comfortably, CLEAN HOUSE on the lame trailered cars, then drive home. to me, that is the ULTIMATE testimate of a build if a guy can build a ***** to the wall PUMP gas street car that you can drive almost anywhere. he says its not worth the hassle. he says its not worth the hassle of the cops bothering you, etc.

i was just wondering how you guys feel about the subject....

and how many of you guys get bothered by the cops?
Im only in the 11's, soon to be 10's, but I trailer my car to the track. I would not drive my car to the track, A. the roads to my track would swallow my car whole, I cringe with just the trailer and truck going over them, B. **** always happens and when you do break, its great to not have to call and wait for a tow truck, especially if your at a night event, and they take their time. I drive my car during the summer everywhere, its a blast. This would hold true for me whether I had a 12 second car, or a 9 sec car...
Old 04-05-2009, 07:15 PM
TECH Regular

how many of you with full out drag/strip cars get hassled by the cops when you drive them on the street.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:53 PM
11 Second Club

I havn't had an issue yet...knocks on wood. Well I lied, I got one drag racing ticket, but that was completely my fault.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:04 PM
On The Tree

i think! why have a car you can't drive and enjoy!

we have a small group of cars that all drive on the street and are fully legal! the slowest is high 9's to low 8's. we would hate to have a fast car that just sat in the garage all the time.

now! if it's a race at the track? then yes we will trailor it just in case. dosen't mean it not a street car! just using our heads. but if we feel like hoping in the car and making a car show or fun run, we can!

i say! build what you want! but don't let anyone tell you what it is! if you want a track car or street car or both? build it!

it is what you want it to be!
Old 04-05-2009, 11:08 PM
On The Tree

as far as cops!

the one and only time we were stopped was a motorcycle cop and he was concerned about the loud exhaust! and once he saw the car had full exhaust and was fully street legal, he was cool and was more about checking out the car.

not too often that you pull over a 8.40 street car, and he's fully legal!
Old 04-06-2009, 03:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

the other thing is that we're in california, and if a cop wants to be a dick, he can write you a smog ticket. which seems to be some dreaded thing for my dad.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:51 AM
10 Second Club

I'm keeping mine a streep/strip for now. It is right around a 10.5 car or a bit slower ran a 10.84 last year. I'm putting the 6pt roll bar in this year but I think low 10's is the farthest i'll go. I don't want to have to put the 10 pt in. I never want to worry about getting in a wreck and cracking my head open on the bar around the top of the car on the street without a helmet on. Even with padding I don't want to put myself in that situation. Just not worth it to me.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:10 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Most people have street/strip cars because they cant afford and/or dont have the room for an extra tow vehicle and trailer. To me thats the most valid point, if you are just cruising around I'd rather be in a stock C6 or CTS-V than a whored out, caged 8 second f-body but thats just me
Old 04-06-2009, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

im buildin my car for street and strip but it will be trailered to the track because if something breaks you stick it in the trailer and drive home. but building it to drive is more money and its a pain. there's more that i could do if i didnt want to drive it
Old 04-06-2009, 11:53 AM
Launching!

i was all about the whole driving it to the stripe thing, but now i would rather trailer it (enclosed preferred). you dont have to load and unload everything twice in one weekend, it is a place to sleep, get a/c in it and enjoy even the hottest weekends, dont have to worry about getting it home if it breaks. just my opinion.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by night ryder
i was all about the whole driving it to the stripe thing, but now i would rather trailer it (enclosed preferred). you dont have to load and unload everything twice in one weekend, it is a place to sleep, get a/c in it and enjoy even the hottest weekends, dont have to worry about getting it home if it breaks. just my opinion.
you sleep in your trailer?? where?
Old 04-06-2009, 12:00 PM
11 Second Club

A lot of nice enclosed trailers have living quarters.

Quick Reply: street/strip or trailered race car.