Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

kee audio vs. stock replacements?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default kee audio vs. stock replacements?

http://keeaudio.com/id79.html

Stock speakers are shot, or something else is wrong with the system. Looking @ replacing the front door speakers ($199 on ebay) Or getting the set above?

Anyone who used the kee system, is it a plug & play. Did all the factory connectors just plug in?

Speaker mounting holes line up perfectly?

Sound VS stock speakers?

Better place to find stock replacements?
Old 04-05-2009, 06:24 PM
Launching!

IMHO, there is no better place for speaker replacement period besides Ian@Kee Audio.

He hooked me up on a big CDT system complete with EVERYTHING i need for the install. Cant beat the service or price.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:46 PM
Launching!

Do not buy the stock replacements. That is the worst possible use for your $200. Spend a little extra money and buy what Ian has to offer. You will never regret it! Ian is awesome to work with and CDT speakers beat just about everything out there!
Old 04-05-2009, 06:53 PM

Do they fit just like the stockers or require some modification to fit or wire in?
Old 04-05-2009, 07:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Smile Get The Kee Audio Standard Package Dude

The holes are ever so slightly off, but I didn't need to drill out anything or modifiy anything at all, just screw the screws in and they will straighten themselves out. Also, I believe you will have to solder the wire on which isn't hard at all. Or u can do what I did which is cut the connecvtion off the old speakers and solder that onto the new speakers so if u ever want to replace them, it is much easier aand u won't have to go looking for connectors. And I must add the sound quality is MUCH better than stock IMO. Also, Ian is great to deal with and the customer service is second to none!
Old 04-05-2009, 08:19 PM
TECH Addict

im looking at getting their Premium package or whatever is called. My fronts are shot and I just want to upgrade all of them at the same time. I hope they sound good.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:40 AM
On The Tree

I just clipped the wire harness off the stockers and crimped on spade connectors to put them on the CDT's. Only problem is finding the mini spades for the neg hookup. Luckily I have a electronics supply near my house.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:51 PM

I think I'll go stock replacements. They state that the replacements are better made and will not blow like the stockers did. I had no issues with the stock sound. Just that the speakers seem blown now.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:01 PM
Launching!

Well, its your money. Bu I figured since I was about to drop that much on replacements, why not go all the way and get something that truly sounds top notch. For instance, I got the CDT ES-62iS and couldnt be happier. Those components are a steal now on sale, I paid more for them. So why not get those, some dynamat for the doors, maybe some affordable midwoofers and a smaller amp 300-400w?
Old 04-06-2009, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by davered00ss
I think I'll go stock replacements. They state that the replacements are better made and will not blow like the stockers did. I had no issues with the stock sound. Just that the speakers seem blown now.
O.o you can buy speakers that sound much better for less so why are you getting stocks again?
Old 04-06-2009, 06:20 PM

Not really into the whole stereo thing. Stock is fine when it works. Car is more of a race/weekend cruiser. Can't hear much over the exhaust really.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:25 PM
Launching!

not to sound like an advertisement, but with my ultra loud CDT components, powered by my CDT amp, I am blasting away to the music with the top down and with my GMMG!
Old 04-06-2009, 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not really into the whole stereo thing. Stock is fine when it works. Car is more of a race/weekend cruiser. Can't hear much over the exhaust really.
but you are paying more.... if stocks were cheaper this would make sense but this isnt true so you really dont.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:11 PM
Launching!

You are shooting yourself in the foot if you buy stocks again!!!
Old 04-07-2009, 10:04 AM
Launching!

KEE AUDIO basic f-body package >>>>> Stock replacements

$277 shipped for the package is an awesome deal.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:09 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just for the record the "new" stock replacements that are claimed to be better made are not. They are the same old stock speakers. Nothing has changed on them. It is merely a marketing ploy like when they made the new Monsoon amp 500watts up from 250watts in the late F-body cars (it was the same amp). I've had several people buy those "improved" stock speakers and end up having to replace them again later.
GM/Delco did not go out of there way to make new improved stock replacement speakers for a car that hasn't been made in 7 years.
Just a heads up.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:45 PM
Staging Lane

^^^^just like that... Bam^^^^
Old 04-07-2009, 11:30 PM
TECH Resident

Although I usually recommend Polk DB speakers for upgrades, I cant blame the OP for wanting to keep the same sound. Lets be honest, The factory system is a great factory system which works well together. Some of the biggest problem with just changing speakers in the monsoon system is the change in volume on the rear sail panel speakers, and the Tonality. My recommendation would be to either keep it all stock, or change out the Radio AND the speakers.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:35 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by ultraz
Although I usually recommend Polk DB speakers for upgrades, I cant blame the OP for wanting to keep the same sound. Lets be honest, The factory system is a great factory system which works well together. Some of the biggest problem with just changing speakers in the monsoon system is the change in volume on the rear sail panel speakers, and the Tonality. My recommendation would be to either keep it all stock, or change out the Radio AND the speakers.
One of the points for using Kee Audio's replacement speakers sets is that they are matched to the system. There is no problem with the sail panel subs having different wiring or different impedance. And there is no monkeying around trying to convert a coaxial speaker into components.

Granted, there is lots more you can do if you want to add/change amps, speakers, and head unit but if you're just looking to fix the factory system this is a great way to improve quality without spending a fortune.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ultraz
right now all i did was polk db6501s at all 4 corners and no problem with this, thats what the equalizer is for. although i really didnt need to adjust it much. the sail panels are fantastic speakers for stock. they actually have a real good thump (for factory). my friend's rx8 has a 10 speaker bose package and it has 0 mid bass, all highs.