Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6 point roll cage need anything more?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 08:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6 point roll cage need anything more?

If a 2000-02 camaro has a 6 point roll cage is there any benifit from fitting subframe connectors or a shock tower brace? Would it just be more weight?
Old 04-05-2009, 10:44 PM
On The Tree

i would still run sub frame connectors. the cage is just mounted to the body and not the front subframe, so it won't stop alot of the twist that sub frame connectors will.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:47 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sub frame connectors are pretty much a must on these cars. Shock tower brace is just added weight..

chris
Old 04-06-2009, 03:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

I believe the two replys are spot on. Subframe and 6-point. I noticed no improvement with the shock tower brace and sold it.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:27 AM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A 6 point would likely be a roll bar and not a cage (no upper halo bar, no front pillar bars), and yes it would benefit running subframe connectors.

Derek
Old 04-08-2009, 11:58 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

The rollbar will do alot to help stop the car from getting tweaked, but the frame connectors are still a good idea.

I wouldn't go crazy with diamond type on a car with a 6 pt rollbar... I'd have a set made that will box around the rear control arm, and just run a single tube up to the front and attach that to a decent plate that's welded to the front frame rail.

I've seen some made custom this way and they're really nice. Do them out of chromoly and they're light, tuck up to the floor nicely, give ya a good way to attach a madman type tq arm eventually if you go that route as well.

I have a set of heavy *** slp ones on my car, I cut the diamond portion off, but they're still pretty hefty in the weight department.

One of the things on the list, is to build a good set and get these things off the car this year. Probably be able to build a set that will weight 1/2 as much I bet.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:34 AM
FormerVendor

As said, a subframe connector on a unit body car is a MUST, even with cage in teh car, and you just have a bar in it, so YES, subframe connectors will work wonders on the car for you.
You can go about a couple different ways:

1)If this is far as you want to go, just get you some that attach to the subframe BELOW the floorboards that way you do not have to cut open the floor to install "through the floor" subframe connectors, and that way you can do it yourself if you know someone with a MIG, and save some money

2)If you plan on doing a serious cage later, you might want to go ahead and do teh "through the floor" connectors now, and have a chassis shop do 'em.

Just depends on what your plans are for the car.

Quick Reply: 6 point roll cage need anything more?