Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing ATF

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 10:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing ATF

I just put a B and M TC on last weekend and I didn't put the lines tight enough and had trans fluid leak all over. So instead of just adding some and guessing how much too add im just going to change out the fluid which im sure needs to be done anyways..... So my question is How much fluid do I need to get, what gasket, basically a list of everything I will need to do it. And if there is a write up on this procedure. Im sure I can figure it out, but it would be nice for a refrence. Thanks, any input is much appreciated!!
Old 04-06-2009, 08:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

its pretty strait forward loosen the 13mm bolts that hold the pan. i loosen them all but leave one in each corner snug then let the back ones out then the front ones out.. Trying to have the back of the pan lower than the front so the fluid will drain out the back of the pan...as for the filter go to your local parts store they will have one for a deep pan and one thats not a deep pan.... i always get the wrong one... id say you have the none deep pan..... if you live a long ways away get both and take the one you didnt use back.... The tranny filter should come with a new rubber gasket and seal "everything you need" make sure its a rubber one and not a cork gasket <~~ I hate cork it always leaks for me hahahahah.......... as for fluid id say 6-9 quarts of dexIII.....when you tighten the bolts back when your done just skip around the pan like you would on a rim....Also remember it dosent need to be RFT just snug the bolts
Old 04-06-2009, 09:06 AM
12 Second Club

Ok seems pretty straight forward, now will that drain all the fluid? by just dropping the pan? It seemed like I would need around 12 quarts of fluid? I also have a tranny cooler, how much will I need to add in addition to that?
Old 04-06-2009, 09:12 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

No you will only loose 4-6 quarts that way. You are going to need to use the dipstick to determine level reguardless

Call 888-744-6542

Old 04-06-2009, 09:35 AM
12 Second Club

So is there another way? Sorry I haven't changed the trans fluid in an F-Body. Or any vehicle for that matter since auto shop lol. I want to remove all the fluid and do a good job and the right way.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:49 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Its not possible to remove all the fluid from the trans the converter does not have a drain plug .Your options if you want to change all the fluid are take it somewhere have have it flushed or remove the trans and drain the converter.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 04-06-2009, 09:59 AM
12 Second Club

Oh ok, that makes sense. So if I do just drop the pan and drain just that much without getting it flushed is that good enough? And a good thing to do?
Old 04-06-2009, 10:24 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Do that and change the filter is all I would do.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 04-06-2009, 10:31 AM
12 Second Club

Ok thanks a lot you have been very helpful, I will do that this week. There aren't any tricks or tips that I should know by any chance are there? Sorry for all the ?'s im just super **** about my car lol which im sure most can relate to on this website.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

so when you put the converter in, did you add any fluid and bring it up to the fill mark?
the dipstick is your friend, dont guess-when you loosen all the bolts, fluid will start to run out if it was at the proper level-most people will loosen the bolts so the pan tilts in one direction, and catch the fluid there-then i use 2 bolts about 1/2 of the pan, loose, and hold my hand under the center of the pan, take the bolts out, and try and lower the pan level, then tilt it and pour it out
use plenty of newspaper, it gets messy-some of the trans use reusable pan gaskets, like the 4l80e, better to reuse them-if you dont have a good feel for bolts, use a torq wrench, esp if using a cork gasket, they dont like overtight
Old 04-06-2009, 11:18 AM
12 Second Club

No I didn't add any extra, it seemed ok until the leaks started. Then I added 3 quarts, ya I lost a lot.