Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

fly landed in the clear coat

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 07:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default fly landed in the clear coat

car is now painted turned out real nice will post images later.

However a couple of small flys landed in the clear coat the painter told me atfer washing the car the fly will dissappear claiming the towel is a slite abrasive and will eventually remove all of the fly

?is this completely true?

part of the fly was outside the clear coat half was in the clear coat the part that was outside the clear has been rubbed out w/ the towel.

Thanks for any tips.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dunno if it will or not. My experience is no. I had something similar happen to me when I had my Formula and had a ramair hood put on it. And the 'debris' never fully came out.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:42 AM
10 Second Club

You'll need to sand it with a 1500 grit sandpaper and buff it out. Depending on how deep it is that will remove most of it, but be careful not to burn through the clear.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:29 AM
12 Second Club

That sux, Maybe try to clay bar it and see what happens.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:31 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wet sand it, and then buff it out. Towel idea, highly doubt it.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default fly

bought good Dupont paint kromobase the lady at the paint store suggested I purchase the economical Dupont clear big mistake.

The painter ragged on how thin no high build up of material even w/ 4 coats of cheaper clear he did'nt want to wet sand because of how thin the clear is.

so is the speck of fly remains there to stay? it is now just a small dot and a small wing.

so there is no truth about the towel removing the remain dot?

will post image later.

Thanks
Old 04-06-2009, 11:54 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TXMaro
You'll need to sand it with a 1500 grit sandpaper and buff it out. Depending on how deep it is that will remove most of it, but be careful not to burn through the clear.
thats just about the only way, even if you get them out with towel; you will still have a dip in the clear where the fly was.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:01 PM
TECH Resident

1500 should be good even for that clear. Just do it lightly and you will be ok.

When that happens to me i take them out when the clear is wet with some tape and a very steady hand.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even if it is true, (that the fly will come out), there will still be an imperfection in the paint. I'm confused by your thread, did you paint it yourself or did you buy the paint for your painter or something? If you hired a painter, take it back and make sure he does it right.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

How does a fly even get into a paint booth? IM guessing it was home painted. Just sand it down and re spray a little clear. Its just a fly its not like an elephant landed in your clear lol we're talking a 2mm square here. Itll look good, dont worry. Depending on how far along the clear was in setting when the fly landed, you may not even have a worry. If it was soaking wet and he landed, youre in for some work. But if it was nearly set, he may just practically brush off. You got to admit, thats one lucky fly. Thats a very honerable death for a fly, to die on the freshly painted surface of a Trans Am. Not even windshield status.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by evilZO6
How does a fly even get into a paint booth? IM guessing it was home painted. Just sand it down and re spray a little clear. Its just a fly its not like an elephant landed in your clear lol we're talking a 2mm square here. Itll look good, dont worry. Depending on how far along the clear was in setting when the fly landed, you may not even have a worry. If it was soaking wet and he landed, youre in for some work. But if it was nearly set, he may just practically brush off. You got to admit, thats one lucky fly. Thats a very honerable death for a fly, to die on the freshly painted surface of a Trans Am. Not even windshield status.
did'nt use a actualle paint both was a garage made paint booth w/ heaters.

it's not a house fly but a flea I'm thinking the fleas must have jumper on him from this dog (dog was'nt in the garage) then jumped into the clear it's only a spec now looks like it there to stay.

I purchased the paint myself (kindof knew the paint lady got a good deal on the materials) I was intending on trying it myself then desided on a experienced painter.

I really can't complain to much for the money I gave $250. for the hood, dr. fender, headlight cover, rocker skirt, and half the front bumper.

car was painted 9 days ago is it still to soon to try the clay bar?

will post images later after I try the clay bar.

Last edited by badmfkr; 04-07-2009 at 07:30 AM.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:07 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by badmfkr
did'nt use a actualle paint both was a garage made paint booth w/ heaters.

it's not a house fly but a flea I'm thinking the fleas must have jumper on him from this dog (dog was'nt in the garage) then jumped into the clear it's only a spec now looks like it there to stay.

I purchased the paint myself (kindof knew the paint lady got a good deal on the materials) I was intending on trying it myself then desided on a experienced painter.

I really can't complain to much for the money I gave $250. for the hood, dr. fender, headlight cover, rocker skirt, and half the front bumper.

car was painted 9 days ago is it still to soon to try the clay bar?

will post images later after I try the clay bar.
Your going to have to sand whats left of him out. As long as your painter put 2-3 good coats of clear on you should be able to get all of it out. You can usually do your sanding or clay bar type work after 24 hours.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 04-07-2009, 08:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default cheap thin clear

Originally Posted by BMR Sales
Your going to have to sand whats left of him out. As long as your painter put 2-3 good coats of clear on you should be able to get all of it out. You can usually do your sanding or clay bar type work after 24 hours.
he put 4 layers of the clear he's saying it's real thin and has no build up this why he dos'nt want to wet sand.

here's the economical clear I purchased I think I gave $40.

http://www.geocities.com/stevethebody3/materials.htm

when he saw this clear he said he would shoot it stated if it where complete crap he wound'nt shoot it told me he normally uses PPG at $90. a quart and would sell me. He told me I cound'nt return the economical Dupont clear for a refund
if I could have I would of used his expensive clear. also told me if you intend on cheaping out do it on the paint not the clear.

I was thinking anything made by Dupont would be good stuff even the economical stuff.

The girl at the paint store told me to only mix what you plan to use the leftover will turn to jellow and be useless
painter said it will still be good. purchased 16oz. so theres quite a bit left, so I'm like confussed.

Thanks

Last edited by badmfkr; 04-07-2009 at 08:45 AM.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:43 AM
11 Second Club

hopefully you can sand it out, we painted my car last summer and ended up repainting the doors a few times because of gnats getting into it. Never did find the place they were coming into the building from. If you were carefull you can usually pick them out when the clear is still wet and it will flow back in and you will never know they were there. But after nine days wet sand.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:30 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by badmfkr
he put 4 layers of the clear he's saying it's real thin and has no build up this why he dos'nt want to wet sand.

here's the economical clear I purchased I think I gave $40.

http://www.geocities.com/stevethebody3/materials.htm

when he saw this clear he said he would shoot it stated if it where complete crap he wound'nt shoot it told me he normally uses PPG at $90. a quart and would sell me. He told me I cound'nt return the economical Dupont clear for a refund
if I could have I would of used his expensive clear. also told me if you intend on cheaping out do it on the paint not the clear.

I was thinking anything made by Dupont would be good stuff even the economical stuff.

The girl at the paint store told me to only mix what you plan to use the leftover will turn to jellow and be useless
painter said it will still be good. purchased 16oz. so theres quite a bit left, so I'm like confussed.

Thanks
Ive used the nason clear before and your painters right it is very thin but if he put 4 good coats on there he can wet sand it and buff it ok. That clear is a medium solids clear so it may seem thin but alot of material actually went on the car. You have three choices. Leave it the way it is and dont wet sand it,wet sand and buff it, or wet sand it get the bug out and reclear it with a higher solids clear. There are way worse clears than the one you used. I have seen paint jobs that are 5-6 years old with that clear that still look good after being in the florida sun all the time. Don't worry to much you used a good basecoat and that clear is decent.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 04-07-2009, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default speck of flea

here's a couple images of my progress don't get me wronge I am pleased with the paint.

I don't know how to insert images (other than attachments) here on LS1tech
think it's like wrapping a tag never learned how to anyway here's 3 images.

I'm holding off on full images untill I get the hood height adjuster plastic nipple then I'll adjust hood, headlight & fender and post at the project website.

paint 1. is the newly painted area on hood & headlight theres a piece of leave to the left it's not stuck to clear.

paint 2. is the speck of flea it's like a pin size of debre.

paint 3. is a small fly wing.

Thanks Guy's for the advice
Attached Thumbnails fly landed in the clear coat-paint1.jpg   fly landed in the clear coat-paint3.jpg   fly landed in the clear coat-paint-2.jpg  
Old 04-07-2009, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default G gathering

Originally Posted by BMR Sales
Ive used the nason clear before and your painters right it is very thin but if he put 4 good coats on there he can wet sand it and buff it ok. That clear is a medium solids clear so it may seem thin but alot of material actually went on the car. You have three choices. Leave it the way it is and dont wet sand it,wet sand and buff it, or wet sand it get the bug out and reclear it with a higher solids clear. There are way worse clears than the one you used. I have seen paint jobs that are 5-6 years old with that clear that still look good after being in the florida sun all the time. Don't worry to much you used a good basecoat and that clear is decent.
Dennis do you ever attend the G gatherings in Atlanta over the years I've meet most of the nice folks from you're area.

Quick Reply: fly landed in the clear coat