Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Start up tune?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 04:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Start up tune?

Can someone point me in th right direction for a safe start up tune? I have done a rebuild with 5.3 heads and 231/237 cam. What should I do to ensure a safe start up? I am new to tuning and just want it to turn over and fire up. I know it will need some work just looking to get a safe start.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

The most important thing is to make sure you set the injector size properly first, so your not washing anything down. If you have stock injectors, then don't bother.

After that, the thing should start on basically the stock tune. It will be tough to start and will run like crap because of the cam, but it should start.

If you want to make the start a little easier, cut the VE value for low rpms (400 and 800) on the primary VE table (if MAFed), by 20%. I wouldn't leave it like this, but it will make it fire up quicker for the initial fire up and check.

I would also change the idle to be rather high (like 1100) and increase the idle airflow table by 15% or so just to have the car idle on its own so you can run around and check things.

I wouldn't leave the tune like this, but this should at least start the car and have it idle so you can do some checking.