Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on setup for cam?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 07:53 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Advice on setup for cam?

Alright let me know what else you guys think would be a good choice to upgrade while doing the camshaft.

-tsp 228r camshaft 112lsa
-prc springs and tsp pushrods from the cam package
-ls2 timing chain
-ls2 lifter trays
-ls7 lifters
-ls6 oil pump

Thats everything I was going to buy, I don't want heads for now just doing the cam only stuff. Anything else I need? Thanks
Old 04-07-2009, 10:40 AM
12 Second Club

Also if possible i would rather use the stock lifters and ls1 oil pump but people have been telling me to just go with the ls6 oil pump and get new lifters. What would you guys think if I didnt get the lifters or oil pump.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:35 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel that you should get the LS6 oil pump and the LS2 timing chain set. The positives that would come out of adding both these components is better oil flow over stock, a stronger timing chain that is significantly superior compared to the stock chain and better overall reliability. Also, when you do a cam swap these parts would be easily accessible and a new Timing chain is always recommended when doing a cam swap. Finally, I would suggest getting aftermarket rockers as well because you will already have new pushrods, springs, titanium retainers. So rockers would be the only visible valvetrain upgrade in my mind that would increase reliability. Granted, many people do not change rockers but if you are thinking of going with heads later on...I'd get the rockers agead of time.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:55 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2002 SS HUGG
I feel that you should get the LS6 oil pump and the LS2 timing chain set. The positives that would come out of adding both these components is better oil flow over stock, a stronger timing chain that is significantly superior compared to the stock chain and better overall reliability. Also, when you do a cam swap these parts would be easily accessible and a new Timing chain is always recommended when doing a cam swap. Finally, I would suggest getting aftermarket rockers as well because you will already have new pushrods, springs, titanium retainers. So rockers would be the only visible valvetrain upgrade in my mind that would increase reliability. Granted, many people do not change rockers but if you are thinking of going with heads later on...I'd get the rockers agead of time.
I do not plan on doing heads later on so I was going to stick with the stock rockers. the ls2 timing chain im certain I will get but the oil pump im iffy on yet. I figure I could just get the oil pump later on if the ls1 pump starts dieing.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fccs
Alright let me know what else you guys think would be a good choice to upgrade while doing the camshaft.

-tsp 228r camshaft 112lsa
-prc springs and tsp pushrods from the cam package
-ls2 timing chain
-ls2 lifter trays
-ls7 lifters
-ls6 oil pump

Thats everything I was going to buy, I don't want heads for now just doing the cam only stuff. Anything else I need? Thanks
I placed an order with Texas Speed last week for just about everything on your list
except I went with:

tsp 228r 114 lsa cam package
prc springs, tsp pushrods
ls2 timing chain
ls6 ported oil pump
oil pump o-ring(new pumps dont come with an o-ring)
gasket set for cam only swap(does not include head gaskets)

I called them & they said the LS2 chain is on backorder, they dont know when they will be getting them either. I would like to know whos selling you an LS2 timing chain right now, apparently none of the vendors have them. Every vendor I checked says out of stock. They gave me the option to buy the NMotion single roller for $75( please feel free to chime in if thats not a good chain) & I said ok I will take it. They also said they were out of the prc dual springs & it would be a few days before they got some more in. I havent heard from them since last Thursday so I have no idea whats going on there. I told them dont ship my stuff until you got everything in so must not have the springs yet.

About the lifter trays & lifters, you have to remove the heads to get to them. I dont plan on changing mine, I was talking to Bob Cook from Intense this past weekend when I was at Milan about changing the lifters & trays. He said he never heard of them going bad. Maybe if I was doing heads & cam, then I might, but not doing that. Definitely get an oil pump though, I heard they do go bad.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:20 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by flintwrench69
I placed an order with Texas Speed last week for just about everything on your list
except I went with:

tsp 228r 114 lsa cam package
prc springs, tsp pushrods
ls2 timing chain
ls6 ported oil pump
oil pump o-ring(new pumps dont come with an o-ring)
gasket set for cam only swap(does not include head gaskets)

I called them & they said the LS2 chain is on backorder, they dont know when they will be getting them either. I would like to know whos selling you an LS2 timing chain right now, apparently none of the vendors have them. Every vendor I checked says out of stock. They gave me the option to buy the NMotion single roller for $75( please feel free to chime in if thats not a good chain) & I said ok I will take it. They also said they were out of the prc dual springs & it would be a few days before they got some more in. I havent heard from them since last Thursday so I have no idea whats going on there. I told them dont ship my stuff until you got everything in so must not have the springs yet.

About the lifter trays & lifters, you have to remove the heads to get to them. I dont plan on changing mine, I was talking to Bob Cook from Intense this past weekend when I was at Milan about changing the lifters & trays. He said he never heard of them going bad. Maybe if I was doing heads & cam, then I might, but not doing that. Definitely get an oil pump though, I heard they do go bad.
So you think the stock lifters would be fine for now since im not doing heads? And for the oil pump would you say I could just wait till later down the road since thats a whole different way to get to?
Old 04-07-2009, 08:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes, install Powerbond underdrive pulley. Works real well with cam upgrades. Definitely go with LS6 ported oil pump, the stocker is notorius to fail early. TSP sells a great one.

get the LS2 timing chain. stock lifters are fine. replace them when you pull the heads with Comp 850s
Old 04-07-2009, 10:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fccs
So you think the stock lifters would be fine for now since im not doing heads? And for the oil pump would you say I could just wait till later down the road since thats a whole different way to get to?
Stock lifters should be ok. If youre not removing the heads, you cant get to them anyway. Theyre under the heads so you wont be changing them unless you pull the heads. I would do the oil pump while you got the timing cover off changing the cam, its right in front of the timing chain. Where you getting an LS2 chain from? I would really rather go that route.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:34 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by flintwrench69
Stock lifters should be ok. If youre not removing the heads, you cant get to them anyway. Theyre under the heads so you wont be changing them unless you pull the heads. I would do the oil pump while you got the timing cover off changing the cam, its right in front of the timing chain. Where you getting an LS2 chain from? I would really rather go that route.
I dont have the timing chain yet, im waiting for some money to come in ahaha. But yea ill just go with stock lifters and change the oil pump.