View Full Version : Is BCM needed to run VATS on 99 T/A harness/PCM?

kst8engineer
04-07-2009, 09:46 AM
In my swap, I'm using the engine/harness/PCM from a '99 T/A. For a small amount of added security, I'd like to leave VATS in the PCM and run a VATS bypass box that could be removed for security.

To do this, will I need to isntall the body control module (BCM), or can it be done without that?

Thanks

69 Ghost
04-07-2009, 10:11 AM
I don't think so. I was looking into the BCM also and the VATS system talks to the BCM. It also is the gateway to the passkey -the resistor in the key. You can bypass it and put in a kill switch though and the car will not even turn over.

kst8engineer
04-07-2009, 11:31 AM
I don't think so. I was looking into the BCM also and the VATS system talks to the BCM. It also is the gateway to the passkey -the resistor in the key. You can bypass it and put in a kill switch though and the car will not even turn over.

So if VATS can be used without the BCM, what PCM terminal to I need to supply with a signal to make VATS happy? Does the VATS bypass box just need to feed into this PCM terminal and not even use the BCM?

69LT1Bird
04-07-2009, 12:07 PM
Do you have the steering column? An aftermarket security system may be less hassle.

ls1nova71
04-07-2009, 01:10 PM
So if VATS can be used without the BCM, what PCM terminal to I need to supply with a signal to make VATS happy? Does the VATS bypass box just need to feed into this PCM terminal and not even use the BCM?

You don't need the BCM. The VATS bypass box will have three wires, a ground, ignition on power, and the third wire goes to the PCM, (dark blue wire, #30 on the red PCM connector). I put a 3 terminal plug on mine so I could remove it too, been working for years.

kst8engineer
04-07-2009, 01:41 PM
You don't need the BCM. The VATS bypass box will have three wires, a ground, ignition on power, and the third wire goes to the PCM, (dark blue wire, #30 on the red PCM connector). I put a 3 terminal plug on mine so I could remove it too, been working for years.

Great, thanks for the detailed response!