Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Meth and 91

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 07:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Meth and 91

I’m getting ready to switch from a dyno jet tune to a mustang dyno tune. I was told by my tuner that if I get dialed in on 91 pump gas and try to add meth on top of it for safety that I would be running rich. I don’t wanna run rich but, I also don’t wanna tune for meth because if it goes out/or clogs while im WOT, I will hurt the motor. He told me the smart way to do it would be to get a standalone ecu so I could program a failsafe to cut fuel to the injectors if the meth is not working properly. Aem standalone is like 1500 bux that I don’t have right now. The only other way I know of is to run race gas. Is there any other option... thanx in advance.

Also how much boost are most of you guys running on just 91 octane? My goal is 10 psi for starters. I don’t wanna run race gas all the time to run big boost, since I‘ve read about how hard it is on o2 sensors etc, not to mention its pretty expensive. I’m beginning to think I wasted my money on a meth kit, if it can’t be used without worrying, unless I buy a standalone
Old 04-07-2009, 07:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Did you invest in a wide band? I plan to run meth all the time with mine at about 12 lbs, not a big deal since its not a dd or anything. Not to mention if you have a descent kit then it wont run all the time, it can be boost adjusted and only run at over 8psi if you want, then you will only have to watch afr on WOT which you should be anyway.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Super Slow SS
Did you invest in a wide band? I plan to run meth all the time with mine at about 12 lbs, not a big deal since its not a dd or anything. Not to mention if you have a descent kit then it wont run all the time, it can be boost adjusted and only run at over 8psi if you want, then you will only have to watch afr on WOT which you should be anyway.
Yes i bought a aem wideband and i have a quality aem meth kit that has the module that allows you to set when boost comes in. THis is my dd so when i run it hard id rather watch the road and rpms instead of the a/f gauge.
You said you plan to run meth all the time but are you advancing ur timing on meth? Or is it just for safety? I just dont wanna risk the block if the meth should have a problem.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should have 3 leds with your meth system:
Green says system is on and running well
Red says system is on but not pumping any fluid (manually shut down at this point)
Yellow says tank fluid level is getting low (go fill up before you muck something up)
It won't shut down the fueling or throttle or timing, your foot will have to do that. But it will tell you when you enter a danger condition.

And methanol cools your IATs, which is my main goal, but it is also a fuel, so compensations should be made.