Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overdrive Tranny Slippage. Is this Normal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 09:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Overdrive Tranny Slippage. Is this Normal?

I can rebuild a motor all day long, but not too educated on transmissions. Hear me out please.

I have a 2001 Trans Am WS6 auto. The car has the stock motor and long tube headers, tsp cat back exhaust, and minor suspension bolt ons. Not to long ago I changed the transmission filter and fluid. The car is around 64k on the odometer. I've noticed two things that started around the time I changed the filter.

1 - When I am in overdrive cruising the tranny will slip slightly when I ease on the gas. It doesn't do it or isn't noticeable if I get on the gas hard. Is this a vacuum related deal with the tranny filter pick up tube?

The car does not do this in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd gear settings. Only in Driver.

2 - Car sounds great when in park or neutral, but when it is put into drive or reverse it almost sounds like there is a clicking or knocking coming from the converter area. It is very hard to hear when under the car, but noticeable in the car and echoed off the curb.

I have HP Tuners if anyone has tips for the tranny?
Old 04-07-2009, 10:05 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Th slight slip feel when just tilting in on the throttle is just your converter unlocking i would bet.

The clicking may be a cracked flex plate/

Call 888-744-6542

Old 04-07-2009, 10:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there anything I can do/tune on the tranny to adjust the "unlocking"? And what are the chances the flex plate is cracked on a stock tranny/motor that to my knowledge has never been removed? I am the second owner of the car. The first was female driven.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:02 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

well flex plate can break anytime and while the unlock is normal on a tilt in your can change it in tuning to take more or less

Call 888-744-6542

Old 04-08-2009, 07:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

try laying your foot on the brake lightly while cruisin on flat ground, say around 50 or so, see if the rpm's jump up a little-that would be your converter unlocking, does the same thing as getting on the throttle-the throttle postion switch is designed to unlock the converter to allow the engine to apply more torq for accelration, acting like a normal non locking converter-try and imagine a 4 sp man trans, at a lower speed, step on the gas, kind of a dog unless you downshifted to 3rd
sometimes the PCM can be tuned to allow more % of throttle to keep the converter locked up, or have the speed adjusted to lock up sooner/later