Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Gap Between Front Bumper And Fender

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 10:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gap Between Front Bumper And Fender

I have a 96 TA that had the front sheet metal replaced. The guy I bought it from took parts from a Firebird including the front bumper. I got a TA bumper and put on it. But there is a place on each side where the bumper curves back that puckers out a little and I can't figure out how to get rid of it. There is also a little bit of a gap between the bumper and fender that I can't quite make go away. I am attaching pics below to show what I am talking about. Any help for a new guy?
Attached Thumbnails Gap Between Front Bumper And Fender-000_0044.jpg   Gap Between Front Bumper And Fender-000_0045.jpg   Gap Between Front Bumper And Fender-000_0046.jpg  
Old 04-07-2009, 10:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

almost looks like a aftermarket bumper that is a little bit under 100%...lol make some modifications to the mount holes maybe?
Old 04-08-2009, 07:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No, it's an oem bumper. Used...had some work done to fix the mounting tabs across the bottom...but it's oem.

One thing that occured to me is that the front impact absorber may also be from the Firebird. I can tell that the beam it is attached to is from the Firebird because of the color, so I assume that the styrofoam is also from the Firebird. I know that the impact absorber from a Firebird and Trans Am are different part numbers, but I have never seen them side-by-side to see what the differences are. I was wondering if maybe the styrofoam from the Firebird is not the same shape as the TA and it is not putting enough support under the bumper and causing this pucker.

When I was looking for a car, it seemed that many of the pictures of the 93-97 TA's that I saw had some type of flex in that area, so I am hoping this may be a common problem and someone knows the solution.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:11 AM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is the fender OEM? It looks like one or the other is non-factory. It can be remedied with a little poly glaze on the corner of the fender to make up for the gap.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, I guess it's possible that either could be aftermarket. The fenders were pulled off a Firebird. I bought the bumper from a company that refurbishes oem bumpers. But who knows where they originally came from.

I have an idea that may fix the pucker that I am going to try this week. How does this sound?

I take a small strip of steel or aluminum. About 3 inches long x .5 inch wide and 1/8th inch thick. I stick that strip to the back side of the bumper in the area where it puckers out so that half of the strip is on the bumper and half will slide up behind the fender. I then cut a gap in the lip that sticks out of the fender that is sized to allow the strip to slide up in it behind the fender. That should keep the bumper from puckering out. The pucker is easy to push in with my finder so it shouldn't cause any problems trying to distort the fender. I figure some fiberglass should stick the steel or aluminum strip to the back of the bumper well.

Anyone see a problem with that? I may still have a little bit of a vertical gap, but at least it should get rid of the pucker, and that is what is really bothering me.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh yeah...what's poly glaze?
Old 04-08-2009, 08:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this is a common occurance. i have an oem front bumper on my 95 and its my 3rd oem bumper counting the original (first one was damaged by a car wash operator driving it into something, second one met its end with a bale of hay) my original bumper was repainted once and after it was reinstalled it had this issue. the second one did kind of, the third i think the body shop got it right and its mostly gone. i think there are clips under there that have to be attached to the new bumper. i seem to recall the body shop replacing them when the first bumper was replaced and i'm guessing the body shop that painted the bumper originally broke them taking the bumper off. they also broke my drivers side GFX piece because they didn't unbolt it from the fender but thats a different story. i was able to get a used one to replace that. as for the bumper/fender joint, its a much closer fit now than it was. my fenders are oem and my bumper, although havnig been replaced twice, is still an oem piece. you might notice i have a little bit of warpage above my corner light in the pic w/ the ram air hood. not sure why this is but thats how it came back from the body shop. something tells me that GM didn't make all the replacement bumpers 100% perfect.

here's how it sits currently

and here's a shot of when bumper #1 was on there after it got painted and you can see its got the same issue yours does

and this is the pass side light thing i was referring to

its hard to see in the second pic but i had the same problem you are having

Last edited by 1995blacktattop; 04-08-2009 at 08:34 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine does it too, you can clearly see it here:

I've thought about getting a metal plate and jb welding it to the back side of the bulge. Like you said, it pushes in really easy, just need something to hold it there in place.

Pretty sure the main reason why it happens is due to the way the bumper often gets stood up on the "legs" where it meets the fender. My bumper didn't originally have that problem when I bought it. But after having it standing upright for quite some time, I guess the weight on itself ended up buckling the "leg" creating that bulge.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Bale of hay!! LOL!! There must be a story behind that one. I have lost bumpers to deer and hogs, but never hay!!

Thanks for the responses. I feel a little better knowing that others have learned to live with it. I pulled the bumper tonight and I don't think the idea I mentioned is doing to work. The area of the fender that the pucker lines up with is right where a slot in the fender ends. This slot is used for a tab in the bumper to slide into. So I can't cut into that to make room for another tab to slide in behind the fender.

I may try the idea you mentioned, blind. Just take a short straight piece of metal and stick to the back where it puckers and see if it keeps it straight. I looked for a clip there 1995, but I don't really see a place where a clip could fit there.

I will try that tomorrow night and let you know how it works out.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Blind, I tried the piece of metal behind that place like you suggested and it worked pretty well. You can't put the place directly behind the bulge because there is a lip that sticks out from the fender behind the bumper in that area. So I had to put the plate about 1/2 inch below the edge of the bumper. I just used a small 3 in. by 1/2 in. flat metal brace with screw holes in it like you find in the hardware section at Wal-Mart. Worked pretty well. There is still a very small bulge at the edge, but not much.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That's great to hear.. now maybe I'll stop being lazy and try it myself. Did you by any chance happen to get any before and after pictures?

Quick Reply: Gap Between Front Bumper And Fender