Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

question for people with 17x11's

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question for people with 17x11's

aight this probably doesnt go here so if it doesnt mods feel free to move it.

anyways my question is that when i go over bumpy roads it soulds like my rear tires (atleast thats where its coming from) sounds like something is moving etc.

like it sounds like a thump thump sound and i was wondering if 17x11 with 315s make noises? since I know that they suppostly are noisy im wondering if this sound that im hearing is normal or something.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like they are rubbing or hitting your inside wheel well.. Mine do not make any noises and shouldn't. How much cleareance do you have from the inside of the wheel to the lower portion of your wheel well, right above the bump stop?
Old 04-08-2009, 08:26 AM
TECH Resident

BFH mod
Old 04-08-2009, 10:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SOMSS1LE
Sounds like they are rubbing or hitting your inside wheel well.. Mine do not make any noises and shouldn't. How much cleareance do you have from the inside of the wheel to the lower portion of your wheel well, right above the bump stop?
Can you describe what kind of sound it makes when they hit?

i know their not rubbing because when i put the 315's I did hear the rubbing sound and did some BFH not much but it stopped the rubbing etc.

either way i will double check and make sure that its not rubbing again
Old 04-08-2009, 11:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine do not rub or make noises, maybe you misread my orginal reply.. but to me it sounds like it's hitting the inside well right above the bump stop. Especially that you say it only happens when the socks/springs are compressed from bumps. That is where I would check first.. Otherwise I am not sure whatelse it could be, that is probably the most common problem.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you have not modified your bumpstops they may be hitting the INSIDE rim of your wheel, mine did that until I cut off the front half. It just sounded like a thump not a scraping noise at all. It was the top of the wheel coming down onto the bumpstop.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Sounds like you have something loose or worn, my wheels also hit my bumpstops and I grinded them down but I didnt notice a noise from it. And when my tires rub it makes a rubbing sounds no thumps so I would look at your bushings, shocks etc... make sure everything is tight
Old 04-10-2009, 01:25 AM
TECH Addict

Make sure all the bolts are tight on your suspension components. A guy posted that the same thing was happening to him in the LT1 section, and a lot of people said that the torque arm bolts seem to come loose easily, and will cause that sound. I have the same thing happening, but I think I might have a loose LCA bolt, since it's coming from the right side of the car mostly.