LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Lifter Q's

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 10:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Lifter Q's

well I started up the new motor tonight, and noticed some sound coming from under the valve cover. figured maybe had to recheck my valve lash so oh well. upon pulling the valve cover I realized every rocker except the very back one was bone dry. fired the car up and looked like only the back rocker was oiling at all and it was gushing out pretty healthily.

car has 60~psi of oil pressure on cold start up and I'm running the LS7 lifters. just wondering if anyone believe the lifters are the culprit, since I believe I've heard of it happening to people before.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

How long did you prime the oil system before the motor was fired for the first time? It took about 2 or 3 minutes of priming before oil came out of the pushrods with my LS7 lifters.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:40 PM
TECH Addict

I pretty much just dry started it a few times for the intial fire, it was running for a few min and didn't notice any oil

how do you recommend priming it?
Old 04-07-2009, 11:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by myltwon
I pretty much just dry started it a few times for the intial fire, it was running for a few min and didn't notice any oil

how do you recommend priming it?
You prime a new motor with a GM oil pump priming tool and a power/air drill to spin the pump. You prime it until you get oil up to the rockers.

Did you at least soak the lifters and pushrods in oil over night?
Old 04-07-2009, 11:31 PM
TECH Addict

yes I soaked the lifters and pushrods atleast for a day or more
Old 04-08-2009, 02:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

So, you started a new motor (new bearings, etc.) without priming the oil system, is that right?

Not good at all. Like shoe said, you use a priming tool attached to a drill to pump oil through the oil gallies and out of the bearing clearances. This pre-lubes all of the moving parts to prevent metal-to-metal on startup. It inserts in place of the oil pump stub drive and engages the pump drive shaft. Spin the pump until you see oil pressure (I used a gauge inserted into the factory pressure sender). You should see pressure pretty shortly, but it will take longer for the oil to build and pump up through the lifters and pushrods.

I wouldn't worry so much about the lifters and pushrods - I'd be more concerned about the rest of your bearings.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
So, you started a new motor (new bearings, etc.) without priming the oil system, is that right?

Not good at all. Like shoe said, you use a priming tool attached to a drill to pump oil through the oil gallies and out of the bearing clearances. This pre-lubes all of the moving parts to prevent metal-to-metal on startup. It inserts in place of the oil pump stub drive and engages the pump drive shaft. Spin the pump until you see oil pressure (I used a gauge inserted into the factory pressure sender). You should see pressure pretty shortly, but it will take longer for the oil to build and pump up through the lifters and pushrods.

I wouldn't worry so much about the lifters and pushrods - I'd be more concerned about the rest of your bearings.
LOL, am I getting mixed up with Shbox? I'm honored.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Man, I am really shittin' the bed lately. Hahaha.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:52 PM
TECH Addict

quite an honor to get mixxed up with the mighty shoe lol

Quick Reply: Lifter Q's