Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulling the motor

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 03:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pulling the motor

Well it looks like my mains seized up so i will have to pull the motor. Is there a way to pull the torque converter bolts without rotating the engine or am i doomed to dropping it out the bottom? Or has anybody ever pulled the motor with the tourqe converter still attached to the flywheel?
Old 04-08-2009, 03:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No, you're going to have to be able to rotate the motor to get the converter bolts man. Pull the spark plugs so that compression is not adding to the tension holding the motor still, then get a big bar and try to get it to turn over. It shouldn't be seized THAT tight.

Yeah, you might tear some **** up but at this point it looks like you'll be rebuilding anyways so what's the difference.

Otherwise, yeah, you can pull it all through the top, but you'll be pulling the heads/intake/basically everything that's bolted onto the motor. Best bet is to put a come a long on one end so that you can increase the angle of the powertrain as it's coming out. It'll be at a pretty extreme angle when it comes out.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:04 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

take pictures if you pull it out the top. I've seen people post that they have pulled the engine/trans out the top just aint never seen no pics of tit
Old 04-08-2009, 08:44 PM

I have pulled the tranny off the engine while the converter was still to the attached to the flywheel but did this on the ground and not in the car though.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:22 PM
On The Tree

I'm not saying it cant be done but i just gotta believe it would be way more of a pain in the @ss than dropping it out the bottom.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Pulling it out of the top is not near as bad as many make it out to be. It's really preference and what you have to work with.

I have a gravel driveway, and am upgrading my tranny anyways, so pulling it out from the top was the method I chose.

I have some crappy cell phone pics of the removal, I will post them when I get a chance. I'll be sure to take more detailed pics of the install
Old 04-09-2009, 11:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Also, I do not think you will have an issue if the torque converter is still on the flexplate. I am probably going to try to install my engine w/ the clutch/pressure plate installed. So if I beat ya to it, I'll let you know how it goes.

The main clearance issues are with the crank at the radiator brace and the heads on the cowl. so it's gotta come out at almost a 45 degree angle