Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True dual under the axle guys...question

Old 04-08-2009, 07:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default True dual under the axle guys...question

Im planning on making a 2.5" true dual setup on my SS adapted into my factory center mount tips...I was going to do it over the axle but that would be alot more work and a pain in the ***...I was wondering how you guys deal with the under the axle true duals? What if you jack up the car/take it off the lift? does the axle hit the exhaust?

what are good mufflers to use also?
Old 04-08-2009, 07:55 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cant jack the car up by the frame if the rear tires are going in the air, have to use the pumpkin. Mufflers dunno, I have some kind of bullet turned backwards. You can also do turn downs at the axle, but I'm sure you knew that
Old 04-08-2009, 08:36 PM
On The Tree

I have 3in true duals with LT headers under the axle I love them.and it dont hit the axle
Old 04-08-2009, 09:44 PM
Launching!

With 2.5", it's fairly easy to throw them over. The PITA dealing with them for the rest of the time they're on the car will outweigh the PITA getting them cleanly over the axle, doing it right the first time.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:01 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LustrousWS6
With 2.5", it's fairly easy to throw them over. The PITA dealing with them for the rest of the time they're on the car will outweigh the PITA getting them cleanly over the axle, doing it right the first time.
true...
Old 04-09-2009, 12:42 AM
11 Second Club

yea theres plenty of room to throw my TDs (2.5") over the axle, but ive always thought dumps sounded better. i vote dynomax bullets, but maybe im biased...
Old 04-09-2009, 12:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I was going to go under the axle and had pretty much made up my mind on the subject. They look fine and they don't have clearance issues near the axle, but I was getting a tire repaired the other day and the lifts they had at the shop pick the car up by the frame. I realized with TD's under the axle, simple things like this would be a PITA. I decided I am going to do it right (for my needs) and just go over.

I know lots of people have them under, more power to them. But my concerns outweighed the benefits of going under.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:45 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by loyolacub68
I was going to go under the axle and had pretty much made up my mind on the subject. They look fine and they don't have clearance issues near the axle, but I was getting a tire repaired the other day and the lifts they had at the shop pick the car up by the frame. I realized with TD's under the axle, simple things like this would be a PITA. I decided I am going to do it right (for my needs) and just go over.

I know lots of people have them under, more power to them. But my concerns outweighed the benefits of going under.
yah this was what I was worried about with under the axle.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:10 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have mine with a flange at the rear housing so I can unbolt the back part to lift the car.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Dumped TD's F T W. Just finished mine up last week. Cruising they are very tolerable, but WOT they are insane. But im also not that picky about drone, which they do a little when on the express way. But im sure i could get a little quieter muffler ( i have bullets lol)

I also have a 6 speed so i can keep the R's down. After about 2 grand they arent very livable anymore

by the way, substituting dumdumdum for F_T_W is the stupidest **** ever. Why does LS1tech do stupid **** like that?
Old 04-09-2009, 10:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

nevermind just read you have a CME so you probaly dont want an empty hole where the exhaust used to be.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:47 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by deelong4002
nevermind just read you have a CME so you probaly dont want an empty hole where the exhaust used to be.
yah thats my biggest thing. My car had every SLP option from the factory so I want to keep the center mount.
Old 04-09-2009, 03:28 PM
TECH Resident

best thread for your question:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...el-ghetto.html

lots have done UTA and even when the axle hangs, it doesn't hit, check out the later pages in that thread for pics.

When you guys talk OTA 2.5" do you mean through the passenger side or over each side?

I would prefer each side, especially w/ CME.

OP, in that thread, there's a guy who has cme, OTA each side. Looks great, but costly and time consuming to get it right, according to the owner.

Check it out. It's most informative from pages 3-4 on.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:05 PM
11 Second Club

i have seen it run both ways but most people seem to run them on the passenger side

Originally Posted by integraxtc
best thread for your question:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...el-ghetto.html

lots have done UTA and even when the axle hangs, it doesn't hit, check out the later pages in that thread for pics.

When you guys talk OTA 2.5" do you mean through the passenger side or over each side?

I would prefer each side, especially w/ CME.

OP, in that thread, there's a guy who has cme, OTA each side. Looks great, but costly and time consuming to get it right, according to the owner.

Check it out. It's most informative from pages 3-4 on.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

how about you dump them, and leave the cme just as a show type deal, its going to be a pain in the *** to do it the way you want, and im not sure how compitent the exhaust shop is on broadway, he did mine, but it was pretty straightforward, he thought he wouldnt be able to do it, i would talk to that guy first, then try to go to petes which is just around the corner, see what they think and go from there. Inline would do it but they will cost you some bread
Old 04-09-2009, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have any problem with them under the axle. When the is setting on the ground the pipes are about an inch below the axle. Not once I have ever scraped the pipes or had them hit anything. I even put it on the lift. The axle will drop down on the pipes and rest there. Never bent any pipes or hangers yet. Been doing this like this for a long time now.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sweet thunder chambered mufflers

As for the CME keep it. It may be a pain but in the end it will look and sound amazing
Old 04-10-2009, 07:27 PM
TECH Resident

I agree 100% w/ somws6bird.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: True dual under the axle guys...question