Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

reccomend me a clutch

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 11:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default reccomend me a clutch

i kinda want another street twin i had a street twin in my car when it was a LT1 now im swapping in a LS1, i have a used *** center force here in the garage and a stock LS1 clutch, NOW what would you guys recommend for a budget of $650? im doing a polluter cam and DONT want a clutch that is gonna burn the hell up.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:34 AM
Launching!

monster
Old 04-09-2009, 07:56 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends on what you want to do with it. I have not seen one Fbody, with any siginifgant milage or track abuse to recommend any Monster Clutch, maybe at the end of this year we will have some real results. Not just "brand new clutch feel"

With that said, I do not recommend Spec based on past exp. Ram has been hit or miss as well.

LS7's seem to be all the rage with that price range, and I recommend a tick perf master cyl which you should be able to do on a LS7 clutch kit and 299 for the MC.

That MC has made a night/day diff that allows for powershifting!!
Old 04-09-2009, 08:02 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
I have not seen one Fbody, with any siginifgant milage or track abuse to recommend any Monster Clutch, maybe at the end of this year we will have some real results. Not just "brand new clutch feel"

!!

There are a few with 10K+ miles on em that have posted here with great results

Either way, I vote for Monster
Old 04-09-2009, 08:11 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by Gen414
There are a few with 10K+ miles on em that have posted here with great results

Either way, I vote for Monster
Everyone I have seen is 0-500 mile, but I will search again, if you got some links feel free to post.

This is what I found.

Search: Monster (i didnt include clutch because I got other brands)
https://ls1tech.com/forums/search.php?searchid=7350037

The best thread which had one car that went to the track,
https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...-feedback.html

Like said, I bought a Textrailia oz700 based on years of exp and feedback, a very popular clutch from Austrailia that was breed to deal with Holden(GM) vehicles power and abuse.

Out of your price range but has the perfect blend of streetability and the ability to hold a good amount of power.

I am sure Monster will do fine but like said, I have not found anything of signifgance due to the newness of the unit.

Last edited by BlackScreaminMachine; 04-09-2009 at 08:19 AM.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just bought a Level 3 monster with chromoly flywheel so theres my vote.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:09 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

In the 400 rwhp range the LS7 is tough to beat for the price. Plus its a stock clutch so it drives with stock clutch pedal pressure and mannerisms.

Only downside is it dont like high RPM dumps over and over you'll burn it up quick. I dump at 5500 RPM mind you and its got about 60 passes on it and im on season 3 now.

For more hard dumping use I too say Tex has the best rep so far. monster looks promising but not YET proven. They have a warranty though so thats attractive. Spec? Hit and miss but some guys love em.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:22 AM
FormerVendor

I recommend Monster, however, I'm biased.

We've been proven on numerous cars, some of which do not frequent forums. I understand completely when guys say that they want to make sure our stuff is proven and has been around a while, I say, no worries! We want you to be comfortable with us, if you're not, don't buy a Monster. Time will tell and we'll keep going, when you're ready to get into a Monster just let me know!

Steve Addison
SNL Performance/Monster Clutch Co.
817-750-2000
Old 04-09-2009, 11:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Not to mention... Monster has a 12 month warranty and a complete ls7 clutch is about $600. You could get a Monster for $150 more and it will take track beatings. So if you drive hard and want to launch then get something that's a little beefier *cough* such as a Monster clutch
Old 04-09-2009, 11:57 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Wow thats insane for an LS7 clutch.

I paid $375 shipped for my LS7 pressure plate, disk, flywheel, all BN in GM boxes so with a little searching around there are great deals to be had.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The ls7 clutch needs the ls2 flywheel to bolt up right? SD was selling that kit for around $560.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:34 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Yes its a totally different flywheel LS2/LS7 are one in the same. Heavy clutch too and as I said not the ultimate drag racing clutch but it holds power and if its for primary street its tough to beat. Drives like stock because it is stock.

I have noticed the price steadily climbing on it since its debut though. i was one of the first to run it and I'm still running it. 3rd season now. 60 plus passes and I've dumped as high as 7K RPM which the first season it didnt seem to mind at all. Last season she was starting to cook a little on launch so this year I'm laying off the track. I'm building a new set up for next year and I seriously considered the Monster its not a bad price considering SFI and all the good stuff PLUS warranty. I was leaning towards it but I bought a 3K miles one season used TEX OZ700 X grip for 550 locally so I couldnt resist. Additionally the dang exchange is brutal tight now plus duty and shipping up here the Monster would have run me over 1200 bucks so pretty serious for me.

I would have gladly run another LS7 mind you but I'm going to be making a lot more power and as it is I know I've pushed the limits of that clutch. I was very surprised at the abuse it stood up to
Old 04-09-2009, 01:42 PM
FormerVendor

Everyone I have seen is 0-500 mile, but I will search again, if you got some links feel free to post.

I am sure Monster will do fine but like said, I have not found anything of signifgance due to the newness of the unit.

I would have to search and find them, but I do know they are out there, not just talking out my ****

Also, can a clutch company touch a 12 month warranty other than Monster? Nope
Old 04-09-2009, 04:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i already have the new style MC by Mcleod from my LT1 twin, im NOT selling that with the clutch, i just need a clutch. i can get a Mcleod for under $700 so that might be what i do... i can get the LS7 for around 475, but this will be beat on WAY too much as i have a 9" and PST driveshaft and im NOT scared to leave off the limiter.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok the monster thing is appealing to me, when you say it has a 12 month warranty, IF something happens in that 12 months do you guys extend the warranty to the replacement and cover that 12 more months?
Old 04-10-2009, 01:28 AM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ZeeTwentyFate
i can get the LS7 for around 475, but this will be beat on WAY too much as i have a 9" and PST driveshaft and im NOT scared to leave off the limiter.
Yeah you don't want to buy the LS7 setup then
Old 04-10-2009, 06:24 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by Gen414
Also, can a clutch company touch a 12 month warranty other than Monster? Nope
That cover driver abuse, racing, or anything else aside from Manufacure defects??
Old 04-10-2009, 08:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

maybe snl will chime in... but if they covered all driver abuse they would lose money. I know if my warranty was about to be up I would just toast the clutch and get a new one under the warranty.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:04 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ZeeTwentyFate
ok the monster thing is appealing to me, when you say it has a 12 month warranty, IF something happens in that 12 months do you guys extend the warranty to the replacement and cover that 12 more months?
That cover driver abuse, racing, or anything else aside from Manufacure defects??

I can not speak for Monster and SNLPerformance about WHAT is covered since it is not my company, but since I own a Monster clutch, this is how I took it:

If something happens to the clutch, and they send you a new one. Your warranty start over from teh day you install your new clutch.

Yes, if you are out at the track, launching on slicks, and you break teh clutch, they will cover it. So, yes, it would cover driver abuse.

Again, I am NOT Monster, so that may or may not be true. I am just stating on how I understood how the warranty works. Once Steve (SNLPerformance) see's this, i am sure he will chime in.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:37 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I vote monster. I had some street use before I went to the track, and it was great, smooth, not even as heavy feeling as my ram powergrip HD but performs much better.

I was at the track a couple weeks ago and blew my 12 bolt with it. The clutch took 1 5000 clutch dump and 9 6500 rpm clutch dumps and without issue, no smell, no slipping. Apparantly it found the weak link, my 12 bolt. This was the level 3 chrome moly flywheel. My 60's were 1.54-1.58 several 1.55's and 1 1.62 on the 5000 rpm launch. These 60's were with the tires spinning, I need to get something better then my small 26" et streets.

My powergrip hd lasted 3 launches.... So Monster gets my vote!

Look for some big things coming soon, im switching to a narrowed 9", 28x12.5's losing about 250 lbs, and hopefully some more power...