Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

C5 single front mount? (build my motor)

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 08:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C5 single front mount? (build my motor)

I have a ls6 block at my house and want to build a boosted 347 for a 76mm single. goals are 550 pump and 800rwhp on race gas. this is going to take a while but i want to start ordering parts for the build.

my buddy who owns a performance shop is going to do all the work.

heads?
turbo manifolds? (ill be spending the next few hours researching.
turbo size?
how big of a DP can i squeze in there?
Old 04-10-2009, 06:21 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A knowledgeable shop should be able to answer those questions pretty easily. How much experience does he have with LSx based motors?
Old 04-11-2009, 03:04 AM
Teching In

he owns a import shop but he is building a small block chevy with a 94mm turbo also so this wont be his first turbo v8. i want to spend 3k to build this motor. i already have a ls6 block just need ls6 crank, sleeve the block, rods, pistons and i have 1 243 head. can someone point me to a shop?
Old 04-11-2009, 03:43 AM
12 Second Club

Wait a min, you plan on sleeving the block? Seems unnecessary for a 347 build.

3k for just the motor or the motor and the turbo kit?

You only have 1 head? Why not just take the ls1 out of your vette and put forged pistons and rods in it? The rest is fine for the power levels your looking for, hell the stock engine with a good tune could take your pump gas goal.

As for your friend, just because he owns an import shop and has built SBC's does not mean he knows about LSx motors. But if you trust him go for it.

As for the turbo questions there is a company that makes a single turbo kit for the C5 corvettes, i am fairly sure they are not a sponser on the forum so i wont say there name. But should not be hard to find if you look around on more specific corvetteforum s.

Good luck with your build
Old 04-11-2009, 04:20 AM
Teching In

ok i have been researching. you are right i dont need it sleeved but i am just going with a new set of PP ls6 heads. 3k is max i want to spend on the long block. i plan on another 1500 for injectors and fuel pump. then i have to save for the turbo parts but just want to run a forged 347 right now.

heres what i have for a shopping cart so far.

CNC-Ported LS6 Cylinder Head Assembly
Diamond Pistons (3.905"Bore/4.000"Stroke/6.125"Rod) <<only showing an example
Eagle Rods 6.100" Stock Length LS1 Rod (.927" Wrist Pin)<<only showing an example
GM ls6 stock crank

i already have a ls6 intake and cartek 3x cam. the cam is a all motor cam but i kind of want to keep it and see how it will react to a turbo. possible?

i wouldnt mind copying someones build so maybe they can send me a base tune and my tuner can finish it off. i have hp tuners.

what else?

Last edited by Mitch.Shea; 04-11-2009 at 03:02 PM.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i know u said a single front mount but another option could be to just do the aps twin turbo for your car.all the pieces are there for ya and there has been tons of research and development into those systems.the cams probably not the best but atleast if u find it sucks u can always pick up a used ls6 cam and throw it in there
Old 04-11-2009, 11:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Those pistons you have listed in your shopping cart are very wrong for that stock stroke LS6 crankshaft.

-Dave
Old 04-11-2009, 02:29 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by dacajun
Those pistons you have listed in your shopping cart are very wrong for that stock stroke LS6 crankshaft.

-Dave
I dont know squat but I maybe in agreement with Dave here. I think those pistons with a 4"stroke would be for 383?
Old 04-11-2009, 02:35 PM
12 Second Club

i am thinking he is just putting those pistons up to show he plans on going with the 3.905 bore. Cause he got stroke and rod length wrong on those pistons.
Old 04-11-2009, 03:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by navymitch12
i am thinking he is just putting those pistons up to show he plans on going with the 3.905 bore. Cause he got stroke and rod length wrong on those pistons.

hey im on big island!

but yea im just trying to build a forged motor out of a ls6 and not going over 347 c.i I would also like to use the stock ls6 intake and PP ls6 heads. what should my rev limit be? I was thinking a GTK-1000 and maybe changing the hot side to fit a 3" dp so i can keep my bullets.
Old 04-11-2009, 03:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 98transguy
i know u said a single front mount but another option could be to just do the aps twin turbo for your car.all the pieces are there for ya and there has been tons of research and development into those systems.the cams probably not the best but atleast if u find it sucks u can always pick up a used ls6 cam and throw it in there
i have been looking at that but i want to be the odd ball and throw a single on it. just seen one go for 5,500 i think... if another one sells like that maybe that will just be the easiest route but i need to build a motor first to handle 20 psi on race days and being able to beat on it on low boost.

Im sure this guy is on here. i just want to copy his motor.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoxO_...eature=related

Last edited by Mitch.Shea; 04-11-2009 at 03:12 PM.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

TTIX kit for sale in corvette forum. $5,000

He does have the wrong pistons listed. but the ls6 block will be honed out for 3.905 bore.

You can already use the crank sitting in the block. Check with Thunder Alley in waimea and see who did their machine work and assembly. They are the only guys building lsx cars on island.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mitch.Shea
i have been looking at that but i want to be the odd ball and throw a single on it. just seen one go for 5,500 i think... if another one sells like that maybe that will just be the easiest route but i need to build a motor first to handle 20 psi on race days and being able to beat on it on low boost.

that build is what im wanting to model mine off of once i get better funding...but ill be running a butt mount...
Old 04-11-2009, 06:32 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mitch.Shea

he goes by NicD, literally on here
Old 04-11-2009, 07:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by chris.shea
TTIX kit for sale in corvette forum. $5,000

He does have the wrong pistons listed. but the ls6 block will be honed out for 3.905 bore.

You can already use the crank sitting in the block. Check with Thunder Alley in waimea and see who did their machine work and assembly. They are the only guys building lsx cars on island.

i have the money for the motor from tax returns and im selling my rims to bj and buying a drag pack. some guy on island wants to buy my motor to put in a miata but i didnt here any numbers yet but that will be spent to some fenders and rear fascia. what cam is in the ls6 block? that one maybe more boost friendly.
Old 04-12-2009, 02:51 AM
12 Second Club

check your pm's
Old 04-12-2009, 04:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Check out Corvetteforum.com

It will help you out. Building a motor for 3k isnt going to get you much. If you do it, do it the right way. A decent set of pistons are going to run almost a grand, then you have your Crank,Rods, all the bearings,Cam,Lifters, Crank pulley,Crank pinning kit, if its an auto, a trans and convertor, if stick a clutch, a DTE rearend Brace,halfshafts. I can go on.

As a 01 Z06 owner and being boosted, Just what I mentioned above is about 3 times above your 3K range for a motor.
Old 04-12-2009, 02:44 PM
Teching In

ok thats a good point but im trying to build a motor not a car right now so everything that bolts up to the block i want to do right now. im not a noob coming on here with big dreams im just trying to build a forged 347 so lets try again!

i will have a shop help me with the specs of the motor just would like to get pointed to the right direction.

Thanks mitch for the pm. i am anxious to here when they do the air to air intercooler setup. and im not to fond of hinsons turbo manlfold.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

block: LS6
crank: LS6
Rods+ arp2000rb's:
Pistons:
rings:
bearings:
cam: cartek stg3 or 224/224 something cam(need to find cam card)
heads: P&P LS6?

From what i can gather he needs to get an optimal turbo for 800rwhp and build the motor from there. Optimal compression to meet pump gas goal, still be snappy off boost and enter boost quickly.

Dont worry about his drivetrain he has all the goodies to handle.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:16 AM
Teching In

by the way I owe you for a clutch and a dte brace let me know what the bill is so you can get another one. I did al the work by myself now just have to put the tb in the clutch housing and pau hanas after that. but yea that's exactly what I want to do as you stated above.

Quick Reply: C5 single front mount? (build my motor)