Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Still Getting stuck in 4th after rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 01:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Still Getting stuck in 4th after rebuild

Okay about 11k miles ago I got my tranny rebuilt by SSI, I got the stg. 1 rebuild. I took it in because it got stuck in 4th, and then proceeded to grind in 3rd and 4th after that (broken slider keys blah blah blah). The gears were re-used btw. After the rebuild things were fine throughout the break in with the SPEC Stg. 2 clutch, and then after I got on it, it got stuck in 4th again but not bad. There is even some resistance coming out 4th just driving normal. I replaced everything with the rebuild except the master, I even bought a Pro 5.0 shifter per Amber's recommendation. I got on it recently and after letting out in 4th @ about 130, it was stuck pretty good, I had to rev high to get it out. Im thinking I might need a new master cylinder? The slider keys still feel intact, I don't think I could've damaged the new upgraded ones with the little abuse i've put it through. So what do you guys think, a new master cylinder should fix it? And which one, would a stock replacement bought at a local parts house be okay?
Old 04-10-2009, 08:18 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the problem were hydraulics you would probably have difficulty shifting all gears, not just 4th. After seeing a couple of SSI's builds (one of which had never been ran) I'd say you're lucky if half the stuff you think was replaced actually got replaced.

It deffinatly isn't going to hurt to install a new master, and if you want to upgrade we offer an adjustable unit. Give it a shot, but more than likely theres something going on inside the transmission.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:58 AM
Banned

If they used stock shift keys in it again , more than likely they are broken again . I would highly suggest upgrading to billet shift keys at least in the 3-4 slider assembly .
Old 04-10-2009, 11:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jonathan@Tick
If the problem were hydraulics you would probably have difficulty shifting all gears, not just 4th. After seeing a couple of SSI's builds (one of which had never been ran) I'd say you're lucky if half the stuff you think was replaced actually got replaced.

It deffinatly isn't going to hurt to install a new master, and if you want to upgrade we offer an adjustable unit. Give it a shot, but more than likely theres something going on inside the transmission.
Well they had to replace the broken parts at least. I was there when they tore it down and I saw them throw away the sliders and keys, correction, they gave me the torn up parts and are sitting in a box in my garage lol. But even if they put in stock parts i don't think it would have broken this fast. I am pretty easy on my car, especially shifting.

I forgot to add it grinds slightly goin into 2nd sometimes, normal driving or not. So It's a problem in 2nd also, it bumps a little in 3rd but hardly ever. And i should add that i have checked the stops on the shifter and they aren't backed out all the way but they aren't in the way either. When I bought the shifter it did help a little but not completely. That's what made me think i should replace the master to fix it the rest of the way.

Originally Posted by thesource
If they used stock shift keys in it again , more than likely they are broken again . I would highly suggest upgrading to billet shift keys at least in the 3-4 slider assembly .
I have billet keys in there already. That's why i dont think they are broken.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TLUZLS1
I have billet keys in there already. That's why i dont think they are broken.
If you are 100% sure you have billet keys in it , I doubt they are broken . I have seen certain brands of them wear quicker than the ones we use but they do not break . It wears grooves into the tops of the keys and could cause it to be very notchy .

Quick Reply: Still Getting stuck in 4th after rebuild