LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

94 a4 ign issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 10:14 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 a4 ign issues

i have a 94 a4 car. the opti went out last summer. and for financial reasons it had to sit till feb when i could purchase a new unit. i bout the jegs opti b/c all of the dealers around here wanted $700+ and i didnt wanna pay $125 on ebay. anyway...i was finally allowed some free time to put the opti on bout a month ago. when i was all said and done, she drove like a bat outta hell!! im talking bout, i dont think it ever felt this good before!

then we got a little nasty weather here in oklahoma and she sat in the garage for roughly 2 weeks. finally get a nice day and i fire it up, car has a nasty exhaust leak and back firing out the exhaust like i have an ar-15 or somethiing. it was the header bolts. they had all backed out on the pass. side. tighten those up and voila!

WRONG!!!

as soon as she kicks into closed loop, the SES light comes on, the fans come on. the idle jumps up to around 1300 rpms and a miss fire becomes present. the rpms then slowly decrease until it just flat out dies from the rpms dropping bottom.

i finally found someone with an obdI code reader last night. we got codes:

36: distributor ignition system (faulty high resolution pulse or extra low resolution pulse)
and
42: ingnition control circuit (shorted or grounded circuit)

what do these codes mean? i would call myself a beginner when it comes to wiring ( i can solder, i can run wires, etc... but i do NOT know anything about circuits)

PLEASE HELP!!!

Quick Reply: 94 a4 ign issues