LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 11:19 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!

i have a stock 1995 Z28. The other day i was feelin froggy and gettin impatient for my exhaust to get here so i cut the muffle off a lil early. Then two days after that i was rompin around on it and i decided to drive a lil nicer, so five minutes after i started driving normal it started chuggin and acting as if it were out of gas. My tank was on E so i just pulled in and filled it up. Well i pulled out of the gas station and it STILL was acting up. It was like chuggin and had no power and when i put the pedal down to the floor it barely excelled. Then all of a sudden it over heated, died and started smokin really bad. and i let it cool all the way down and i popped the hood and it started melting a hose that came off the vent of the exhaust manifold( im thinkin thats the egr valve) but it only was smoki on the passenger side. And there was alot of hot air coming out of that vent, so much that it was blowin the tube off after running for a while. Now im thinking that when i took my muffler off i may have knocked something loose in the cat and that the cat is just plugged. IDk does anyone have any ideas? and if it is the cat, i just wanna cut it off and go no cat. Do i need a special o2 sensor or a conversion or what? Any help would be great being as this is my only vehicle right now
Old 04-10-2009, 11:30 AM
LT1
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If that hose melted where the egr valve is it would make a ticking sound and I think you would probly loose power from it. I would check to see if you have any exhaust leaks. Look around the valve and rev the engine up look to see if you hear noises or feel air coming from there.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:59 AM
Teching In

well ya its melting i realize that. but is melting from another problem.it doesnt rev up very well
i mean this all just started happening like in an instant
Old 04-10-2009, 12:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The tube off of the valve connected to the header is a part of the AIR system, not EGR. If you have that tube disconnected, you'll have an exhaust leak and throw off your o2 sensor, but I don't think it could cause all of the problems you are having. If you suspect a clogged cat, cut it off, weld in some straight pipe, and either get o2 sims or get your codes tuned out.

Also check your fuel pressure, just to be sure you didn't burn out your pump.
Bleed your cooling system to make sure you don't have any air pockets.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:47 PM
LT1
TECH Fanatic

oops ya the, hose from the air pump diverter valve.

Edit
Old 04-10-2009, 01:03 PM
Teching In

ya i bled the cooling system out, it seemed fine. and that valve on the passenger side is not an EGR? it is connected but its gettin melted like crazy! and the valve has so much hot air coming through with such force its litterally blowing it off the valve. and i have a fuel pressure checker, or my dad does i guess. but it could be the fuel pump. but then how could you explain it smoking? and there is a whistling sound when you first start it up and were can i get those 02 sims? i dnt want that cat on there either way
Old 04-10-2009, 01:14 PM
LT1
TECH Fanatic

That hose going to the valve connects to the exhaust manifold, you have a exhaust leak if its damaged and probly where the smoke is coming from. Its not your main problem but still needs to be fixed. Put a new hose and clamp it, the old hose could be hardend up melted and wont seal. Ive had it happen to me.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:22 PM
Teching In

okay thanks for the help ill give that a try. im gonna go hack the cat off now. pray for me! lol

Quick Reply: Help!