Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls1 in 1998 blazer 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls1 in 1998 blazer 4x4

Ls1 with a t56 in 1998 blazer 4x4 Can you do this? I've called and asked around but i keep getting different answers. One person says yes and the next says no. What i want to do is take the 4x4 completely out so its just a 2wd but it will still have the stock front with out 4x4. But now the question is will/do ls1 mounts work with it or is the frame different? And with the 4x4 gone i will not need a new oil pan right?
Old 04-10-2009, 09:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you are referring to LS1 as in Camaro/Vette engine, then no, you won't need a new pan. If you are talking truck engine, depending on your plans for the truck, I'd say you will need a different pan as the truck pan may stick down too low if you lower the blazer.

If you are going thru all the work of taking the 4wd out, I'd suggest removing the torsion bar susp. and replacing the shocks with QA1 coilovers, again assuming that you are building a street truck rather than a mud runner (no 4wd)!

Mounts should be the same however, any other part you'd need to be 4wd.

As far as utilizing the T56, it can be done, just depends on how deep your pockets are!!
Old 04-10-2009, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by TTLS1GP
If you are referring to LS1 as in Camaro/Vette engine, then no, you won't need a new pan. If you are talking truck engine, depending on your plans for the truck, I'd say you will need a different pan as the truck pan may stick down too low if you lower the blazer.

If you are going thru all the work of taking the 4wd out, I'd suggest removing the torsion bar susp. and replacing the shocks with QA1 coilovers, again assuming that you are building a street truck rather than a mud runner (no 4wd)!

Mounts should be the same however, any other part you'd need to be 4wd.

As far as utilizing the T56, it can be done, just depends on how deep your pockets are!!
what would you need to do to make the t56 work i thought it was just cutting a hole in the floor
Old 04-12-2009, 05:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are referring to LS1 as in Camaro/Vette engine, then no, you won't need a new pan.

The LS1 Corvette pan will NOT work.
The LS2 Corvette pan works with a notched and boxed front crossmember.
Old 04-12-2009, 05:42 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by branschm
what would you need to do to make the t56 work i thought it was just cutting a hole in the floor
yeah but then u would need to get the pedals n make sure of how everything will work.....its simpler said than done
Old 04-13-2009, 08:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

your really better off starting with a 2WD Blazer if those are your plans.

Re'
Old 04-13-2009, 12:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RE AND CHERYL
your really better off starting with a 2WD Blazer if those are your plans.

Re'
actually no. the 4x4 with out the front diff makes things 100x easier as there isn't a x-member in the way. the x-member in a 4x4 is moved to the front of the engine rather than under the engine. Also, the U/LCA's w/o the torsion bars make for a better riding, more adjustable suspension rather than a 2wd. Most parts incl headers that are made for the 2wd application will work on the 4wd (most, not all). My truck ran many 2wd parts when I swapped in the v8.

when the diff is removed, you will have to make a x-member out of box to suit whichever pan you use.

As far as the t56 is concerned, you'll need the complete pedal assembly either from a M/T S-10 or from the car that you take the tranny out of. With the s-10, at least the older ones, camaro pedals can be adapted to work. You need to run the MC from a t56 car and adapt it to the firewall. It can/has been done but it depends on how much work you really want to do!

I suggest going to s10forum dot com and reading up on the LSx swap page.

Good luck.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:30 PM

actually no. the 4x4 with out the front diff makes things 100x easier as there isn't a x-member in the way. the x-member in a 4x4 is moved to the front of the engine rather than under the engine. Also, the U/LCA's w/o the torsion bars make for a better riding, more adjustable suspension rather than a 2wd. Most parts incl headers that are made for the 2wd application will work on the 4wd (most, not all). My truck ran many 2wd parts when I swapped in the v8.

when the diff is removed, you will have to make a x-member out of box to suit whichever pan you use.

As far as the t56 is concerned, you'll need the complete pedal assembly either from a M/T S-10 or from the car that you take the tranny out of. With the s-10, at least the older ones, camaro pedals can be adapted to work. You need to run the MC from a t56 car and adapt it to the firewall. It can/has been done but it depends on how much work you really want to do!

I suggest going to s10forum dot com and reading up on the LSx swap page.

Good luck.
thank you looking it up now...
Old 04-14-2009, 11:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

It can be done. Mines running a truck 5.3 with 4l60e. All truck accessories with homemade mounts and 2.8 frame mounts. Modified tranny crossmember. Stock truck pan hangin below frame, just build a skid pan to protect it. leave the outer section of front half shafts in the hubs to hold the hubs together. Do replace the front differential assembly with a homemade crossmember as stated above. I had some frame cracking where a-frames mount due to flexing of mounts. Causes a lot of drifting in the lane steering problems when that happens, not good. Exhaust used was 99 f-body manifolds modified by cutting off flanges. Good luck with yours.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:38 AM
TECH Resident

I will re-iterate Eagleuh1's comment:

Make absolutely certain that you have something (outer halfshaft stubs, big bolts, whatever) holding the front hubs together. Without something there, they WILL come apart.

I think the rest of these guys have answered your other questions. Might want to think seriously about a coilover conversion to eliminate the torsion bars.

Also, if you're looking for the slammed look in a 4wd chassis, you'll be begging for trouble. The ball joints aren't set up properly to get down that far and you'll be replacing them regularly.

'JustDreamin'

Quick Reply: Ls1 in 1998 blazer 4x4