Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cracked 4l60 tailshaft while installing poly mount

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cracked 4l60 tailshaft while installing poly mount

Am i the only ******* on here thats ever cracked the rear tail shaft on there camaro while changing out the trans mount?I swear to god ,,,this APS build has been fighting me ever since Be Cool sent me a wrong rad in the right LS1 box last summer which ruined my brand new stage 3 Rossler tranny and ALL of my coolant hoses. Im just about ready to fire her tonight,, and was filling the tranny when somethong told me to pip under the car to make sure i had no leaks LOL LONG BEHOLD !!!LOL There it was pouring out all over the floor from the back of the tranny .my first thought was the drive shaft wasnt in all the way LOL or maybe i was praying it wasnt LOL
It seems that the passanger side trans mount bolt, which are both the same size, pushed threw the bottom of the tailshaft alittle to make it leak !!I guess i wasnt paying enough attention while tightening down the new poly mount boltsThe only thing i can think of is the poly mounts plate must be thinner then the OEM one ??Anyways do you guys think JB weld will work for a small crack on the tail shaft or is the tail shaft under pressure while the cars running ?I know nothing about the internals of a tranny OR just replace the tailshaft ?and can this be done on the car ?I pray so, because its a MOTHER #@$#@ER to pull because of the twin turbo **** in the way.
I was really wondering if you guys ever heard of this happenning to anyone else????LOL
Thanks guys Barnat
Old 04-11-2009, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Can i change the tailshaft while its still in the car guys?
Old 04-11-2009, 08:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah the tailshaft can be repalced with the trans in the car easily. just remove the driveshaft and the bolts that hold the tailshaft on.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

better to break it now then on the dyno when mine broke. big mess
Old 04-12-2009, 01:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jsteele90
better to break it now then on the dyno when mine broke. big mess
lol IDE SAY SO!!lol
Old 04-12-2009, 01:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Badazz 97 TA
yeah the tailshaft can be repalced with the trans in the car easily. just remove the driveshaft and the bolts that hold the tailshaft on.
THANKS ,Im just wonderinmg if anybody else has done this?,,ran the bolts up to far and did what i did ?