Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manually Locking Converter Question, Not The Usual Though...

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2003, 12:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Manually Locking Converter Question, Not The Usual Though...

These converters, both stock and aftermarket usually lock up at low RPMs and very moderate power levels. They unlock as soon as you go WOT. What is it doing to the lock up clutch when you manually lock them up ar high RPM, high RPM power levels. I would imaging it would greatly shorten the clutch's life. Am I correct? Anyone have experience manually locking a clutch over a long time? Any long term problems with doing it? I would imagine the type of material it is made out of would make a big difference too.
Old 10-27-2003, 12:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have been wondering the same thing...it seems to me like it would be spinning extremely fast, then be forced to lockup...??? It sounds bad...
Old 10-27-2003, 12:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This appear to be the biggest mystery/myth mod you can do to these cars. Everyone asks about it, but no one can post how to do it. Apparently the only people who know about it keep the secret closely guarded and only pass it on my email or other secret ways.

Last edited by 2xLS1; 10-27-2003 at 01:29 AM.
Old 10-27-2003, 04:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have mine programmed to lock up above 130 MPH in 3rd at WOT. A few minutes with LS1Edit was all it took. No mystery or secret to it.

And yes, it IS hard on the lockup clutch to do so. I don't recommend doing this unless you have a clutch material that is designed to take this kind of abuse or unless you really don't care much about clutch life (like me.)