General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Rubbing/Clunking Noise !?!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 03:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubbing/Clunking Noise !?!?

symptoms: 1998 T/A makes a rubbing/clunking noise everytime i take off AFTER A PRETTY HARD STOP like at a stop sign or a red light. when i stop something appears to be shifting forward (i can't feel it, i'm only assuming). then, under acceleration i can actually HEAR/FEEL something rubbing underneath. like metal is rubbing and something is "sliding back" underneath the car.

at first thought i thought it was the tranny mount(s) but after doing quite a bit of research on here for a few days and driving the car pretty much daily for the last 2 weeks i have narrowed it down to the u-joints.

i DO NOT think the rear end or the actual transmission is taking a **** on me, so the u-joints would have to be what's doing the rubbing/clunking.

i read all 3 of these threads and i just need a bit more advice just to see if i'm on the right track. jeeez, it's late and i'm searching for this crap, HAHA !!!!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...rm-instal.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...ment-help.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...oints-out.html

thanks for your help guys.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:18 PM
12 Second Club

well don't know if it will help you but make sure that your lower control arms are tight. not just snug but tight enough you almost can't turn the bolts any more.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2000TransAm24
well don't know if it will help you but make sure that your lower control arms are tight. not just snug but tight enough you almost can't turn the bolts any more.
x2

thats what was causing my rubbing,clunking noise
Old 04-12-2009, 09:35 PM
Teching In

im also gettin that kind of noise. So i feel ya there. Cept, mine is not rubbing, i just hear a clunk type noise. It sounds like its coming from the right rear of the car. i cant figure it out either! I will be monitoring this thread to see what you all say.

Dave
Old 04-13-2009, 01:00 AM
On The Tree

to be honest with you, i feel it in the rear driver side, but i'm only guessing that even the control arm would rub/clunk so much that it almost appears as if it's right underneath your feet.

i dropped the car about 2 weeks ago and we checked the rear control arms. actually, we just moved them and visually inspected the bushings. control arms/bushings appear to be fine.

but if i had to guess i'd say the noise is about 80% in the rear.