Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

another no start issue...

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 11:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default another no start issue...

Its a 99 camaro, cam only with a TH350. basicly we stripped everything behind the dash out no HVAC or radio. Now right now I can stick the key in all the lights light up go to turn it over and nothing, The fuel pump turns on but the starter doesnt even click. I pulled the starter relay and jump the red to the purple and it turned over so I know the starter is fine.... Im just not getting power to the relay from the ignition switch.. could this be a BCM problem?

I can see/feel a small black box (not the BCM) with two connectors in it "click" when I turn the key but thats it nothing else. Im not getting any power to the starter relay.... Ive got the dash pulled back out and have double checked all connection and they are all tight. Is there a ground that you can think of that is easily missed? what are the symptoms of a blow BCM? the car has been down for over 2 years and its so close to being running again!

Last edited by Tricked-Out-Toy; 04-12-2009 at 04:57 PM.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone have scans of the grounding locations from the GM shop manual and the BCM and theft det system? my haynes manual sucks for diagrams..
Old 04-13-2009, 08:15 AM
TECH Addict

yellow/black wire from the bcm to the starter relay tells the starter to kick.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the info! Ill check to see if im getting signal but im assuming not since I swapped relays out and still nothing.. If the ground for the signal side of the relay was out it wouldnt trip the relay.

so lets say I am getting signal from the BCM on the yel/blk wire where does the "ground" wire go? is it just a group body/engine ground? if the ground was out would the rest of the curcuits on the fuse/relay plannel be dead as well?
Old 04-13-2009, 09:04 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you just did a TH350 swap, if your car was an A4 before then you need to get your neutral safety switch and plug it back in. I had the same problem when I did my th350 swap.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the car was actually a 6 speed car to the clutch engaged switch is what acts as the neutral safety switch. that is plugged in and was working fine. Ill have to check the contract to make sure its still working properly... right now Im not rulling anything out. Its acting like a neutral safety issue, when you turn the key to crank it over the gauges/lights all go out like it wants to and is expecting to turn over just nothing is getting to the starter....
Old 04-13-2009, 10:11 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tricked-Out-Toy
the car was actually a 6 speed car to the clutch engaged switch is what acts as the neutral safety switch. that is plugged in and was working fine. Ill have to check the contract to make sure its still working properly... right now Im not rulling anything out. Its acting like a neutral safety issue, when you turn the key to crank it over the gauges/lights all go out like it wants to and is expecting to turn over just nothing is getting to the starter....
Like Josh said the car ran with the TH350 for about 8 months but has been sitting for 2 years now...Could this be VATS related? I'm going to attempt to disable that tonight and check. Also, Josh maybe we should just go ahead and bypass the clutch safety switch...I should have done that a long time ago anyways.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ya we can jump that wire easily enough I want to double check that Vats is disabled to.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:25 AM
11 Second Club

I have never disabled it in HPtuners...so we can try that tonight as well...I sure hope it's something crazy like that...
Old 04-13-2009, 10:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That would be SWEET! But I dont remmber the "security" light flashing when I turned the key to cranking position... I may have missed that..
Old 04-13-2009, 11:44 AM
Teching In

Wow i didnt even think about the clutch switch. I'd definately check that too.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:36 AM
11 Second Club

turns out it appears to be a faulty BCM, we bypassed the BCM's starter relay (tater can you post the wire colors?) and it started right up. I disabled VATS and it runs with no problems now! I'm so excited to have my car back running!
Old 04-14-2009, 07:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ya just grounded out the yellow and black wire. runs like a champ!
Old 04-14-2009, 09:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad to hear the car is running again.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

so...umm...what is the "secuity light" does flash when you try to start it???

I have the same issue; the car is getting dropped of at the shop today, i hope i dont have to pay out the ***....

Quick Reply: another no start issue...