Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCV System Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 12:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default PCV System Question

I was out looking at my car and I just noticed that the part circled in red isn't connected. Then I was trying to get a better look at it and might have cracked the part circled in blue.

Can I still drive the car, or should I park it until it is fixed?

Should I buy another stock PCV system hose or go with a catch can?

Old 04-12-2009, 12:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fix it with over the counter hose and a 3 way tee from autozone or home depot. dont buy that piece from the dealer its over 100$
Old 04-12-2009, 05:27 PM
On The Tree

Would it be OK to drive it like this? From my limited understanding of the system, the oil and vapors would just be released in the engine bay instead of being routed back in to the intake.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:15 PM
11 Second Club

its gonna run like **** and make a huge mess but sure go ahead and drive it
Old 04-12-2009, 08:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jsteele90
I checked behind the intake where it would have been leaking, but didn't find a bunch of oil. I would understand the car running bad if the break was between the valve and the throttle body causing a vacuum leak, but it isn't. What would make it run like ****?
Old 04-12-2009, 08:48 PM
Launching!

Get rid of it. Plug the driver side valve cover ''the big hole'' On passager side valve cover cap off back nipple.Use the front nipple of pass,side valve cover to your catch can.That worked for me.G/L..
Old 04-12-2009, 09:36 PM
TECH Addict

get an ls6 valley cover, then you just have the pcv hose run from the intake manifold to the nipple right under it.
http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=18
Old 04-13-2009, 08:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by schuby87
I checked behind the intake where it would have been leaking, but didn't find a bunch of oil. I would understand the car running bad if the break was between the valve and the throttle body causing a vacuum leak, but it isn't. What would make it run like ****?
the system is all the same.

a leak anywhere in the hose would allow unmetered air in.

as suggested, fix it

also as suggested just pull the system out and buy some fuel hose and a T-connector.
or do what i did and cap the outlet on the passenger side, and just run the PCV line from the drivers valve cover.

should have a hose running from the passenger side of the TB, over to the front of the passenger valve cover. then the hose from the back of the drivers valve cover around the back of the intake manifold, allong the side of the passenger valvecover/coilpack then into the PCV valve, then into a vacume port on the lower passenger side of the mouth of the intake manifold.

i spliced some of the hard plastic hose with some fuel hose to make a real nice clean setup.
didn't bother with the T-fitting.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:43 PM
On The Tree

Replacing everything is sounding like the way to go.

Does this look OK?

Old 04-13-2009, 01:09 PM
TECH Junkie

i think the pcv goes between the intake manifold and the catch can.

not sure if that's required...or just the "typical" location.

the RevExtrem catch can has the valve built in the can....
Old 04-13-2009, 01:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats the exact same thing that had happenend to me last week. So i just got rid of the whole PCV system to clean it up a bit. Capped the ports on the throttle body, ran a hose from the drivers side cover to the passenger cover (to make them equal) and bought a breather from speed inc to go in place of the oil fill.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by zrsnopro97
Thats the exact same thing that had happenend to me last week. So i just got rid of the whole PCV system to clean it up a bit. Capped the ports on the throttle body, ran a hose from the drivers side cover to the passenger cover (to make them equal) and bought a breather from speed inc to go in place of the oil fill.
with this way you will need to change your oil allot more frequently, unless you want your oil to get acidic.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:34 PM
On The Tree

True. I dont mind changing the oil more frequently, pretty simple on an LS1. The reason being is that the oil gets contaminated quicker due to the breather correct?
Old 04-13-2009, 02:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by zrsnopro97
True. I dont mind changing the oil more frequently, pretty simple on an LS1. The reason being is that the oil gets contaminated quicker due to the breather correct?
no, you eliminated the fresh air line coming from the tb. so there is no fresh air going into the engine. eliminating the pcv to the intake means you dont have the old misty air being purged by the intake. you need a vacuum of fresh air in and a vacuum of crappy air out.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:34 PM
On The Tree

I have heard good thing about the RevXtreme catch can, but it doesn't look like they have a store on their website. Anyone know where to order one?
Old 04-13-2009, 06:08 PM
TECH Addict

The original part from GM is cheap and includes a new PCV. Then insert a catch can between the PCV and the intake and you'll have a good set up.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:27 AM
On The Tree

When I bought my car I drove it for a month before I noticed that the PCV hose was messed up. It looked like something burned it. The entire section where it branches off from 1 hose to 2 was gone and looked burned.

I fixed it with some hose and a T connector. I can't tell the difference from before the fix to after. It runs the same as far as I can tell.

fix it with over the counter hose and a 3 way tee from autozone or home depot. dont buy that piece from the dealer its over 100$
That's what I did. I think the hose and "T" connector cost me a little under $5.

Mine didn't make a mess or run poorly either. In fact I wouldn't have ever noticed it was damaged if I hadn't been back there for the rear spark plug.

Originally Posted by DaddySS
The original part from GM is cheap and includes a new PCV. Then insert a catch can between the PCV and the intake and you'll have a good set up.
We have different opinions on what "cheap" is. As soon as I discovered the broken and missing hoses and tubes I went straight to a Chevy dealer. They told me $120 for those $5 worth of parts. I immediately went to a parts store and fixed it for $5.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:58 AM
8 Second Club

i would definitely put some kind of catch can on there while you have it apart and doing the lines anyway. just looking at the intake ports on the cylinder haeds would be enough for me.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:47 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by schuby87
I have heard good thing about the RevXtreme catch can, but it doesn't look like they have a store on their website. Anyone know where to order one?
Not sure where you can get the RevXtreme one. I fitted this catch can to mine:- http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=1787
Old 04-14-2009, 07:38 AM
TECH Junkie

http://www.revxtreme.com

with a hole in the PCV system you will be introducing unmetered air into the engine, leaning it out.

its possible the engine will compensate for this with the LTFT and the car will run fine. its also possible it will push the LTFT over 25% and throw a code.

for WOT it will also be lean, but generally these cars are tuned to run a bit rich...so leaning it out at WOT could be a benefit

the reason those rubber pieces are "burned" looking is due to the oil being drawn through them. and even more so the acidic vapor that the system is ment to purge from the crankcase. if the pcv system is not there, all that acidic oil vapor stays in crankcase, recondenses when the engine cools down and can damage parts.

THAT'S the reason to keep the pcv system intact.

Quick Reply: PCV System Question