LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Steering column/link/knuckle question?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 03:11 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Steering column/link/knuckle question?

I just installed some headers and have some clearance issues with my steering knuckle/link hitting on one of the primaries. Does anyone know if I can loosen the steering column enough to get more angle out of it on the engine bay side to clear the primary before I take a hammer to the header tube? Basically, can I angle the steering shaft on the engine side more toward the fender away from the engine by loosening something in the column bolts and pushing/re-tightening?
Old 04-12-2009, 03:27 PM
TECH Veteran

you really dont have any play in that shaft at all it just bolts to the steering column then to the rack....really no play at all you will have to ding the primary by the way what headers are those anyway
Old 04-12-2009, 03:57 PM
TECH Regular

Ebay headers from Pit Stop Tuning...LPP clones basically. It is not a whole lot, but enough to make life difficult. China puts an angle off just a little up top=big trouble down the pipe :-( They are great quality, just having some fitment issues. I would say the primary needs to be flattened about 1/8" maybe. Not a whole lot, just slightly flattened on the straight part of the run...and only because it is stepped up right there.

All in all though, for $450 shipped with the "y" included, it was well worth the money. I picked up 30 rwhp on the dyno with the exhaust alone...not to mention the mean sound it has now :-)
Old 04-12-2009, 03:59 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lot of the guys running the LPP's had the same issue and ground down the problem spot on the column itself.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:03 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Elliott's94Z
A lot of the guys running the LPP's had the same issue and ground down the problem spot on the column itself.
That was my next question...can I grind off the excess metal on the steering knuckle to clear?It is on the u-joint part though and I don't want to take away strength from my steering components if you know what I mean. Or are they grinding something up stream on the column to give the clearance/movement necessary to get the right angle in the engine bay?
Old 04-12-2009, 04:19 PM
Banned

Here's some pics of mine with a bit ground off. Is this the area you are having touching issues?
Attached Thumbnails Steering column/link/knuckle question?-bella-pics-3212.jpg   Steering column/link/knuckle question?-bella-pics-3216.jpg  
Old 04-12-2009, 07:21 PM
TECH Regular

Here's some pics of mine with a bit ground off. Is this the area you are having touching issues?
Yup. Same exact spot. Did you have any issues with the grinding? Any thoughts on losing strength doing it? I just hate to bash in my headers.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:47 PM
Banned

No issues what so ever. There is still plenty of material left so strength wise there should be no issues what so ever. Start off slow and keep checking for clearance. Good luck!
Old 04-12-2009, 10:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by creepingdeath94
That was my next question...can I grind off the excess metal on the steering knuckle to clear?It is on the u-joint part though and I don't want to take away strength from my steering components if you know what I mean. Or are they grinding something up stream on the column to give the clearance/movement necessary to get the right angle in the engine bay?
The "steering knuckle" is what your wheel hub bolts to and is connected to the a-arms. What you are referring to is the steering gear coupling shaft.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:34 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by shbox
The "steering knuckle" is what your wheel hub bolts to and is connected to the a-arms. What you are referring to is the steering gear coupling shaft.
Thanks...pictures would have helped on my part, but hopefully everyone got it based on the description of where I was having the issue. I'm just always hesitant to cut away material from a steering component unless there is plenty/overkill material there. I also don't want to hammer in my headers.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:36 PM
TECH Regular

No issues what so ever. There is still plenty of material left so strength wise there should be no issues what so ever. Start off slow and keep checking for clearance. Good luck!
Will do...I appreciate the pictures and descriptions. This should be my last issue with the install...then I can finally drive the car again.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by creepingdeath94
Will do...I appreciate the pictures and descriptions. This should be my last issue with the install...then I can finally drive the car again.
No problem bro. You shouldn't have to grind it down much.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

If you need to grind as little and where Elliott's94Z did, it shouldn't pose any real issue. I can sympathize you not wanting to rework the header pipe.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

The picture shows just a small amount of grinding, but for me, I would play on the safe side, I would rather Clearance my headder than take any chances on something that has control of the car, A ding on the headder or wrecking the car. But thats just me..........
Old 04-13-2009, 02:15 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by moehorsepower
The picture shows just a small amount of grinding, but for me, I would play on the safe side, I would rather Clearance my headder than take any chances on something that has control of the car, A ding on the headder or wrecking the car. But thats just me..........
Yea, that's where I'm at now. I clearanced it very little...just basically rounded it off/smoothed it out some and whatever else is left to clearance will be done through a flattened out or dinged in header primary from here. Should be finished this evening after work. I'll take a torch to it, get it hot, and flatten out the primary a bit. I'll let everyone know how it turns out. I also will be replacing my motor mounts soon just to do it so I'm sure there are no issues in that department as well.

Any thoughts on stock vs poly mounts? I plan on building the top end of the motor some, but not surpassing 400 rwhp.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:40 PM
Banned

Polly will outlast the stock mounts and you might notice a little more vibration with them. I noticed it a bit but it wasn't anything drastic. Others have noticed it as well after changing them out.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you could try an ls1 steering shaft. search around there are a few threads about it.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:00 PM
TECH Regular

Yea, I've looked into the whole LS1 conversion and I think I will just use the rag joint eliminator and keep the LT1 steering piece. I think once I replace the motor mounts it will help with clearance as well. I finished modifying the primary and the steering clears enough for now until I replace the mounts...which will more than likely clear it the rest of the way. Thanks everyone for the ideas and suggestions.

I do have another issue though...I posted another thread about it...

Quick Reply: Steering column/link/knuckle question?