Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Valve stem seals - installation tips

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 03:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve stem seals - installation tips

I had difficulties with the first set of valve stem seals I installed. Here is what I learned.

- A 12 mm socket does not work that well. The socket is not a perfect fit for the valve stem seal. I now use an upside down PRC base (from their spring kit) and it is a perfect fit. A PRC base plus a socket of any kind to tap it down. I would imagine just about any spring base would probably work. It would only take a few seconds to check.

- Put the valve stem seals on dry, not oiled. After putting them on, put a little oil on the rubber part that contacts the valve stem (to ease abrasion on first start up). This is my personal opinion and I am not a professional. If putting the seals on dry is incorrect would someone please correct me?

- When you are putting the valve stem seals on, put them all the way down. You will know right away when they are all the way down as a different sound is made when you are tapping them down.

- There is different brands of seals. The blue ones appear to be the most popular with the hardcore engine builders.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another tip is to put on a couple dabs of yellow weatherstrip adhesive on the guide then to install them, but do not put any on the valve stem. Viton seals are the best ones, manley and enginetech make some but have to make sure the OD of the seal is smaller then the ID of the spring.

Quick Reply: Valve stem seals - installation tips