Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brown smoke

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brown smoke

im having an issue when i go wot i get a cloud of brown smoke and detonation at 5k plus without any misfires or knock retard.

brown smoke from my expirence is fuel..... but im not getting any dtc's im also not getting any knock retard ive tried adding a mild mitxture of q16 racefuel to the regular gas i run to help battle the detionation i dont have a wideband o2 but the car doesnt seem to be running overly rich

ive checked out the map sensor and checked the injectors tested the coils wires and plugs im pretty certain that its not the tune because its basicly a stock tune with the egr and air codes turned off as well as torque managment turned off

the car has been modified with ls6 intake ported throttle body lid mac mid-legth headers ory and catback and i did the thunder racing coil relocation with the thundervolt 10.4 wires but this problem started pre the coil relocation i also am using ngk tr6's for the nitrous "which im not gonna use until i get this detionation issue taken care of" but the problem existed before with the ac delco plugs

so im basicly out of ideas any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 04-18-2009, 11:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Is this on the 94 or the 00. If it is the 94 the problem I would go after the optispark.

How do you know you have detonation, can you hear it?

Is there anything going on with the misfire counts at high rpm?

How is the power of the car?

Does the car vibrate like you are loosing a cylinder or something?

When exactly did the problem start....just out of the blue, after a modification, nitrous pass?