LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

help keeping my headers from rusting

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 10:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help keeping my headers from rusting

I purchased a set of long tube pacesetters for my LT1 and I bought the non-coated. I know, I know, I should have bought the coated but I didn't.
So my question is what do you guys recommend for preventing a giant ball or rust?
Old 04-12-2009, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even with coated headers you have to worry about them rusting if you leave them outside or don't care for them. There's not much you can do with uncoated headers, though. They will rust eventually.

Don't leave it outside or drive it in the rain or in the winter. Other than that, there's not much you can do.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:59 PM
On The Tree

The car lives in the garage and I never drive it in rain unless I am caught out in it. That was my reasoning for buying non-coated but after reading all the horror stories of non-coated I wasn't sure if I didn't make a mistake. I thought about header wrap but I am kinda afraid of it because of it catching on fire. I may just buy heat paint and put another coat on them for good measure. Just wondering if any one else had a suggestion.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:08 AM
11 Second Club

I just got my longtube noncoated Pacesetters. I had them sandblasted to remove the paint. Go to the local autoparts store and pick up a couple cans of vht high temp header spray paint. It's good from 1300-2000*. You just have to make sure you follow the curing procedure on the can either when they're on the car or by putting them in an oven. I used this stuff on the headers on my last car and I'm very impressed with it.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:23 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WhitePhoenix99
I just got my longtube noncoated Pacesetters. I had them sandblasted to remove the paint. Go to the local autoparts store and pick up a couple cans of vht high temp header spray paint. It's good from 1300-2000*. You just have to make sure you follow the curing procedure on the can either when they're on the car or by putting them in an oven. I used this stuff on the headers on my last car and I'm very impressed with it.
Hey thanks man, I will try that. The paint on the headers look like crap anyways.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:39 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TRANSAM GT4
Hey thanks man, I will try that. The paint on the headers look like crap anyways.
No problem man. The guy that sandblasted mine said the paint that was on them was junk. That stuff would burn off the first time you drove it most likely.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:45 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WhitePhoenix99
No problem man. The guy that sandblasted mine said the paint that was on them was junk. That stuff would burn off the first time you drove it most likely.
Yeah it looks like it. I guess you get what you pay for, not trying to knock pacesetter headers, it's just the coating looks bad.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ceramic coating, paint, header wrap, etc., will only delay the rust and in some cases accelerate it (header wrap). The ONLY fool-proof way to enjoy rust-free headers is to buy stainless steel headers (LPPs, Kooks, etc.). Ceramic coating is the next best thing to stainless, but even then it will not take long for rust to develop, depending on usage.

Header wrap will lock in moisture, can be subject to fire, and is all around a bad idea.

Quick Reply: help keeping my headers from rusting