General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Turn signal/running light low voltage on '00 T/A

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 12:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn signal/running light low voltage on '00 T/A

Hey Guys,
a couple days ago the pass side front turn signal and running light quit working. I expected to just replace the bulb and be on my way. I did but obviously that didn't fix the problem. I took the socket apart and checked the wires. I have good ground, but both of the other wires are reading 2 volts or so. If I switch the turn signal on, nothing changes, still two volts. I'm figuring somthing in the loom is rubbed somewhere or there is a connector upstream in the wire loom that has corrosion in it. Anyone know where to look for another connection to clean? The wires just go into that huge loom that runs across the front of the car and then who knows where. All the other running lights are working fine. I did pull apart the connectors on top of the pass side strut tower but came to find out they don't run any of the front lights. I'm kinda lost here on where to look next.

Thanks for any help.

Jason
Old 04-13-2009, 12:45 PM
Teching In

I am going to keep an eye on this thread. I am having sort of the same problem with my drivers side parking light. Does it come on dim when the light switch is turned to the parking light or on Position ?
Old 04-13-2009, 01:43 PM
Teching In

No nothing happens, I don't think 2 volts is enough to even make it dim. I could just jump a new wire from the side marker light right next to it, but that doesn't really fix the problem and I would still be without a turn signal.

Jason
Old 04-14-2009, 08:15 AM
Teching In

TTT anyone?
Old 04-14-2009, 08:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vwjunkie53
Hey Guys,
a couple days ago the pass side front turn signal and running light quit working. I expected to just replace the bulb and be on my way. I did but obviously that didn't fix the problem. I took the socket apart and checked the wires. I have good ground, but both of the other wires are reading 2 volts or so. If I switch the turn signal on, nothing changes, still two volts. I'm figuring somthing in the loom is rubbed somewhere or there is a connector upstream in the wire loom that has corrosion in it. Anyone know where to look for another connection to clean? The wires just go into that huge loom that runs across the front of the car and then who knows where. All the other running lights are working fine. I did pull apart the connectors on top of the pass side strut tower but came to find out they don't run any of the front lights. I'm kinda lost here on where to look next.

Thanks for any help.

Jason

I think you have another bad bulb or high-resistive short somewhere to drain pull the voltage down to 2v. Remove the bulb & check the resistance between the ground and each wire. If there's any resistance, you have ashort somewhere - maybe even in the column switch.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:08 AM
Teching In

Could a short in the column affect only one side? Thats the wierd thing, every other running light/bulb is working fine. I'll check the resistance between the wires and ground. Any ideas where a short/wire rub may happen? Any common places. I was also thinking a crappy connection in a plug in connector somewhere but I don't know where to look.

Jason
Old 04-14-2009, 09:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have a Haynes manual, look into the wiring schematics.