Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbd ls1 help

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 04:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Carbd ls1 help

i want to do a carb'd ls1 swap in my 89 iroc! I have a 02 5.3 that came out of an avalanche. Comes with everything but im not going to need it all because my car is already carb'd and really just want to build it up! Im looking into just porting the 5.3 heads and buying a rotating assembly for it with a big cam! But what i want to know is what all do i need to get in order to make the swap possible for my third gen at a somewhat low price. Im planning on buying some of my parts with money from selling my engine in the car now. Which might not be enough but ima try and do it myself with a lil help from my father in law! I plan on using the same carb which is a holley 750 4 barrel! And im running nitrous so im looking toward a forged rotating assembly! So what do yall think! Really the only thing i dont know about is ignition, motor mounts, how to run my 700r4 or a th400 on it, and about the pulley setup like my power steering, a/c, water pump, alternator and also i have a mechanical oil pressure guage so how would i get it to work on the 5.3?
Old 04-13-2009, 08:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Pretty much everything you need to know about runnng the carb and ignition is in a sticky at the top of this forum, the one about running a carb and dist on an LS motor.

The 5.3 is a good budget motor, probably the best value for the dollar of any LS pull out. But if you are going to drop the bucks for forged internals, ported heads and nitrous you would be much much better off starting with a 5.7 or better yet 6.0. Those are some pretty serious parts you want to install. With that much of a build up you will be dollars ahead starting with the bigger bore motor. Would hate to see you limit your potential that much.

That 750 should be fine for your application. Seems to be what most guys run.

Mechanical oil pressure should be cake. They sell adapters to convert the LS oil pressure sensor to 1/8 npt. You shouldn't have any trouble finding an adapter to whatever tubing you feed to the guage.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:19 PM
On The Tree

Cool thanks man! Yea well im getting it for 150 bucks and it comes with everything so thats why its a good deal not to miss out on but i wanted to bore it out a lil more and run something you dont see much of around like a 370 ish ci. motor! But i might still buy it and put new head gaskets in it and make a lil profit for a 5.7 or 6.0! I could always just go to a 406 on my sbc i got now but its just the lsx that makes it way better! Whatbout the pulleys and accesories, how to bolt up the tranny and the motor mounts?
Old 04-14-2009, 06:53 AM
Staging Lane

hi ! looking like a nice project ! for your pulleys and accessories, the truck style accessories may not fit right in the camaro, alternator too tall but i'm not sure. for the transmission, I've made the same in my swap. I bolted my 700r4 to my 6.0. everything bolts there except one bolt. you will need the flat flexplate with the crank spacer and longer bolts. for the torque converter, you will need to elongate the holes with a dremel or something like that. good luck with your project
Old 04-14-2009, 11:47 AM
On The Tree

Thanks man! yea they sell a kit for the ac compressor to where you can run your stock ac but i think ima take it all off! i just need to figure out the power steering out and alternator!
Old 04-15-2009, 11:25 AM
On The Tree

Bump for info!
Old 04-15-2009, 12:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

whos making 3rd gen specific swap acc?
i would go with a manual steering to keep the $ down for acc.,
also free up alot of hp if u run udp without ps pump
also posted on tgo
Old 04-15-2009, 11:45 PM
On The Tree

Where would you get those? Summit???
Old 04-15-2009, 11:57 PM
On The Tree

Ok so i looked into a lq9 and lq4 so would it matter which one to get if they are both iron blocks? And would i have to get a serpentine setup off a ls1 so the pulleys fit since the ones on the 6.0's stick out further!
Old 04-16-2009, 11:01 AM
On The Tree

bump for info

Quick Reply: Carbd ls1 help