Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car won't go into gear and strange noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 07:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car won't go into gear and strange noise

Ok so driving today my car was not down shifting it felt like and was jerking when I would slow down so I kept having to put it in neutral to get it to stop then I would put it back in drive and it would work just fine. I checked the fluid and im good there. On my way home today I heard a strange rattling noise. I could only hear it at idle since my exhaust was to loud to hear it any other time. I get home start the car noise is gone. Put it in drive it immediately comes back put it in park goes away, drive comes back so I put it in reverse to back it out and nothing happens put it in drive nothing. Turn the car off then put it in reverse and it engages. So I play around with it some more and same thing strange noise that sounds about like a bolt in a dryer and trany won't engage. So what do you think? Converter has gone out? Flexplate?
Old 04-13-2009, 07:22 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Could be converter, flex plate, trans though if converter its likley the trans now also. I would drop pan and see whats in there. That will tell you which way to go. Felx plate would not be likley to cause a no movement intermitantly.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 04-13-2009, 09:13 PM
On The Tree

Hmmm so what am I looking for when I drop the pan? metaly shavings? What will it tell me?
Old 04-14-2009, 11:47 PM
On The Tree

Anyone els have any thoughts? I am going to try and start on it 2maro granted I can free up the time.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:28 PM
On The Tree

Started on it today and should have it out by the end of the week I am just working a lot this week. Any other thoughts as to what it might be. I took it for a test drive today befor I started working on it and I went mabe a 1/4 mile and turned around and on the way back I almost didn't make it in the garage my RPM's were way up for how much power was being put down it felt like somewhere in the transfer I was looking a lot of power.

Quick Reply: Car won't go into gear and strange noise