Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice needed on launching an M6 please...

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2003, 12:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Advice needed on launching an M6 please...

I need all the tips and advice I can get. Before today I had only driven A4's at the track and wow, I've got a lot to learn. I made my first pass on street tires at full psi so I could get a feel for the track, it was my first time on this track too. Then I put on some nitto's to see what I could do.

First time off, I spun like crazy. Finally got tracking half way through 2nd gear. Managed a 13.3@110 with a 2.2x 60', not what I wanted.

The next pass I heated em up some more and they grabbed, too much. I almost killed the car at the line, then over compensated for that and spun some more. Terrible run, 13.5@109 and another sloppy 60' with a 2.4x.

I was getting dissapointed after the third run, I missed 3rd gear and just stayed out of it after that.

The 4th run, much like the 2nd run, spinning pretty bad through 1st and 2nd. Pulled off a 13.7@114. WTF?

On my last run I think I slipped the clutch a little on the line, smelled it for a second or two on the way back. Time was no better/worse than the others so I called it a day.

I know the launch RPM is the key, but man, this stuff ain't easy. I give props to anyone cutting 1.7 or better with a 6 speed. That's nuts. I plan on putting in a 9" and a new clutch over the winter, and of course getting some tires that will grab. Any advice for me? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-27-2003, 10:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off, i would get some drag radials. As far as the launch, with the stock rear end you are gonna want to feather the clutch off the line till it hooks. not good on a stock clutch though. they dont like alot of that. After you feel it hook, then you can get on it.

Once you get the better rear, get some ET streets or Drags, and hit some high rpm dumps. I have a best of a 1.71 60ft so far on my 12bolt. that was with about a 6k+ dump on ET streets.
Old 10-27-2003, 01:53 PM
TECH Resident

M-6 launch tecniques have been discussed endlessly in the past at this and other sites. Please use the "search" function, which will result in huge amounts of info on this and similar questions.
Old 10-27-2003, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im in the same boat as you man. Ive spent most of my drag racing experience shoing an AUTO trans. With this new car, I have a new found respect for the stick racers out there.

That said, Ive managed a 2.01 60' on the stock F1 17" radials on my car.

I found best success launching at 3000 rpms and slipping the clutch just enough to where it doesnt spin too much and like was posted above wait till you feel it hook and let it rip.

Good luck